Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hi, we had a weekend away for easter and i thought i would have a go at the "argument in a bag". this was our first time to attempt this and we were both waiting on the expected fuse to blow as we attempted tis ardous task. hey, no worries at all, got everything to fit and piece together first go, no too bad for novices. only wee niggles were that the front panels were too high off the ground for the peg rubbers, tried to release the tension on the upright poles but as everything was put together and tensioned there was no scope for them to lower back down that wee bit. this was only minor though and we were pretty pleased with our effort. one other thing, the three small fittings with the hook to hold up the front pelmet seemed as if they werent long enough and it sagged, how do you combat this ?

if my computer skills are up to scratch you should see a picture below, chhers :)

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
cheers D, went back to castle carey next to creetown, been there in january and february, the site suits our needs fine especially for the wee yin, indoor pool durin the colder climate and its no too big an area for her to be away from the pitch playing. liked it so much have just booked it again for long weekend in june, also going there for long stay in agust.

on the saturday i took the fam a wee run along the a75 to look at other sites, some were way too large for what we need and i wouldnt be comfy for the wee yin having all that area to explore when out playing, they are all lovely tended and good looking sites, just no my cuppa.

cheers.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hi dean "sorry", aye it makes a big difference when towing compared to my vectra. have been away three times now using it, and going over the same route we used with vectra, across the galloway hills which has lots og climbs and wee twisty parts. where the vectra would show signs of struggling constantly climbing and had to be dropped down the box regularly, the tucson manages it in at least one gear higher. makes a big diff to me and my confidence, glad i made the change now.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
hmmmmmm a lesser car i seem to recall glad to see you got it all together you can now give advice on the awning post with you sporen held high.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Mac !

That looks well !

The spike things go on the outside, near the edge there will be a hole normally with a eyelet in, the spike goes through there & the pole goes back into the corner bracing & then clamp it off ....

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i recall apost about some one selling up caravaning to seend there kids to a private school and mentionof selling his loved vectra for a lessr car a tuccson was a post to the person having to sell up.carnt recall the person but the thoughtof a lesser car dint seem to agree with them.Irecall that i said you wont be dissapointed with the tucy i think you got the petrol so should be ok.Glad to see you got away more than us as some idiot stowed the side of our car in last sunday.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hi sproket, yep, i had them on the right place, then put the hook through the eyelet, still not tight enough though and sagged. have gave it a wee bit thought tonite though and i reckon i had the hook end facing up the way, whereas if i turned them so the open part of the hook faced the ground, i could then pull the canopy over them and thread the hole through from the underside of them, that should take some slack up, well, i think :)

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Mac H well done you got it up (the Awning that is ???)looks o.k. might be a bit slack and flappy in the wind (no offence meant Bud)i personally would lift the whole Awning up by about 1" to 2 " at the front i find it tightens beter and dous,nt flap in the wind .that,s just my oppinion . I hope you marked the poles with something so that the next time the otherhalf can put it up as you stand and watch (that will be right SHE said ) All the best

Duggie ( the real highlander)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mac, well done, looks a bit windy on site have you considered using a storm strap? I use one all the time especially if we are near the coast, or high up after losing mine one night, luckily I managed to rescue it before any damage was done,just a thought.

Kev

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
douglas, you say to lift the front up a bit, but ive already said that i thought it was too high because the rubbers for the pegs were way up off ground level. i would have thought that these should be flush to the ground, and the bottom draught skirt would fold in more. is it alright to have them about 6 inches off the ground ?, i would imagine they would no do their job right.

kev, will be gettin storm straps before next outing, this was only to test.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
douglas, you say to lift the front up a bit, but ive already said that i thought it was too high because the rubbers for the pegs were way up off ground level. i would have thought that these should be flush to the ground, and the bottom draught skirt would fold in more. is it alright to have them about 6 inches off the ground ?, i would imagine they would no do their job right.

kev, will be gettin storm straps before next outing, this was only to test.
HI! MacH i find that the pegging rubbers i have (like small step ladders ) they have about 3 or 4 holes so that you can use either of them to adjust the tension ,the bottom of my awning is usually about 1" of the ground then i put the skirt inside and if on hard standing i use a handfull of stones every 6" on top of the skirt (holds it down great keeps the wind/rain out also)Don,t worry it looked great for the first time up the more times you put it up the easier you will find it and each time you will make small adjustments to it until you get it the way YOU are happy with it sod what anyone else thinks it,s you thats living in it .everyone has there own way of doing things .ALL the very best for the next time out (thats another worry off the list )

Cheers Duggie

p.s off to Onich in June can,t wait .

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Good to see you managed this awesome task which, since the awning was invented, has been the cause of many a divorce, argument, holiday disaster or other.

You did not mention your weather conditions at the time and therefore would think that it was quite calm. However, you may have been telling us a different story had it been throwing down or very windy!

I see you have a young family which was how we started 40 years ago. Now, we still just about manage to venture out due to my disabilities and with the help of my new invention, manage to put up that all important Awning up and most importantly, in most weather conditions in next to no time and without falling out.

Please look at it on http://www.awningcompanion.com/Awning%20Handyman.html as one day, you could be looking for one for more reasons than you think.

Happy caravanning in the future and hope you enjoy it as much we and our children have!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts