Government report on trailers.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Last year, I bought a cable attachment point as my TowTrust towbar did not have an attachment point.
Yours must be quite old as the one we had fitted in 2018 had the attachment point and same with the one fitted in Sept last year. I must admit though that the new tow bar is a fixed tow hitch and the attachment point is hard to connect to on the plate due to the gap being a bit large although the hole is large enough. Hole should have been closer to the side of the plate.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yours must be quite old as the one we had fitted in 2018 had the attachment point and same with the one fitted in Sept last year. I must admit though that the new tow bar is a fixed tow hitch and the attachment point is hard to connect to on the plate due to the gap being a bit large although gthe hole is large enough. Hole should have been closer to the side of the plate.
I believe the attachment point is madatory on new cars and new towbars from 1st Jan 2018 - so yes, in that sense my Touareg is now "old", nearly 8 years old.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
My V90 also has this but if doing it alone you don't get much time to get from the drivers seat to the back of the caravan to see it!
If it's like our XC40, and the XC60 before it, the check system cycles until you stop it. So if you missed the first round you wait a few seconds and it starts again. We always do this on hookup (plus, of course, the car will detect and warn about a failed bulb).

Reactions: GaryB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Same here with a Westfalia swan neck, the tow bar has an eyelet for the job, those who do not have one can wrap the cable around the tow bar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same here with a Westfalia swan neck, the tow bar has an eyelet for the job, those who do not have one can wrap the cable around the tow bar.
I had a Witter tow bar on a Superb and the cable attachment hole wasn't large enough to use with the caravans breakaway cable. . So I bought climbing carabiner that would go through the hole, which then allowed me to use the later type of breakaway cable that doesn't require to be fed back on itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts