grab handles

Sep 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone replaced their front grab handles, mine have become all discoloured and don't look good, and feel my van would look better with a new set.

Or alternatively, does anyone know if I can cover/paint them with anything

Much Appreciated

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I used to own a Swift Challenger 490 SEL on which the grab handles became mottled grey. The surface appeared to have a coating on them which I could almost scrape off with my fingernail. One day I decided to unbolt them from inside the gas locker and proceeded to scrape off (carefully)the surface with a sharp knife to remove the top layer of white oxide like coating. This was probably the top layer of plastic which had perished due the action of UV. After scraping away for quite a while this revealed the original plastic surface and I removed the remaining streaks of this coating with one of those green kitchen scourers. I finally polished up the surface using some Farecla polish which you use to take scratches out of caravan windows. The end result was excellent and they were virtually as good as new. A coat of wax polich finished the job off and the problem did not come back.

blu

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I too had same problem and removed them rubbed them down and used a primer and painted them.Not only did they look good but cleaning behind were they bolt to on the van made a big differance to the look of the van.I do take pride in keeping the van clean and polished although some forum members may not agree with the products i use my van is always sparkling.

Kind regards

Sean

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I used to own a Swift Challenger 490 SEL on which the grab handles became mottled grey. The surface appeared to have a coating on them which I could almost scrape off with my fingernail. One day I decided to unbolt them from inside the gas locker and proceeded to scrape off (carefully)the surface with a sharp knife to remove the top layer of white oxide like coating. This was probably the top layer of plastic which had perished due the action of UV. After scraping away for quite a while this revealed the original plastic surface and I removed the remaining streaks of this coating with one of those green kitchen scourers. I finally polished up the surface using some Farecla polish which you use to take scratches out of caravan windows. The end result was excellent and they were virtually as good as new. A coat of wax polich finished the job off and the problem did not come back.
It wasn't a layer of old paint that had to be removed, it was a layer of oxidised plastic. It was almost like plaque which you get on your teeth. As I said, underneath was the actual plastic in virtually pristine condition. It was just a matter of getting down to it. I suppose if one did this a few times you would eventually have no grab handle left. LOL

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
paulpro, why did ye scrape them off, could ye no have used nitromoors or something similar, would have speeded the job up ?.
It wasn't a layer of old paint that had to be removed, it was a layer of oxidised plastic. It was almost like plaque which you get on your teeth. As I said, underneath was the actual plastic in virtually pristine condition. It was just a matter of getting down to it. I suppose if one did this a few times you would eventually have no grab handle left. LOL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts