Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of buying a grand espace 2.0dci 175. Kerb weight is 1830. Max braked tow weight is 2000.

Anyone any experience with towing using an espace? Iwould appreciate any comments.

Stephen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen,

We had a Grand Espace until last week, the car itself it brill, we tow a 1450 sterling sapphire van, and it towed fine. There is so much room, we removed the center seat to give even more room getting in and out. Going to France last summer the kids could really spread out. We were getting 23mpg towing and about 31 solo. Not sure how this compares to other cars.

The only problem is that if you get a good one its ok but we had one that caused us nothing but trouble, loss of power is one of the main problems, and the EGR valve. Everytime something goes wrong you have to pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi we had an espace on a 53 plate with the 1.9 120bhp. we towed a twin axle spectrum for 2 years around the uk/rallies and in France. it was great with the average fuel when towing 27mpg and 40mpg solo. it was a company car and we only keep them for 2 years and we had to changed to another make. try and get a good ex company car as they are over serviced and you will have good tyres and not cheap ones.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

I have a Grande Espace 2.2dt (phase three on a W plate). It a great vehicle for a family, and I find it tows very well.

I pull a 1400kg caravan with no problems, but I also use a twin axle trailer rated to 2000kg, which it also manages well. One of the down sides is the limited Gross Train weight, which means that I have to watch what I put in the Espace when I pull a full trailer, but for normal family caravan holidays its great vehicle.

Seats are good, driving position ok, height gives better views out, surprisingly quite inside (even for a diesel) The added length provides much better luggage space.

Reliability has not been perfect, a split oil cooler radiator (

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
As john says be very carefull with the gross train weight, on pre 2006 models the gtw is made up of the cars kerbweight plus the max tow weight.

This means on the grande espace 2.2 dynamique that i wanted after putting the van on the back (coachman vip 530/4) i only had 270 kgs left for loading, with my wife and two teenage kids in the car i had almost no loading left for awnings, containers, clothes etc.

On another point the espace is regarded as the most unreliable car (mpv) you can buy, in a recent driver power survey it came last out of 100 cars, electrical and engine problems including the very unreliable egr valve where sited as the main reasons people would not buy another one. Think carefully there are far better cars out there and for a lot less money.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
sorry steven just noticed that you have posted elsewhere that you intend to tow a Fleetwood Heritage at 1700 kgs with espace, the heritage is 60 kgs heavier than my coachman so you can see the problem, the espace will legally tow it BUT you will have very limited capacity left for other passengers and luggage.

seriously the car is not really suitable for this van, if you really want an espace you will need a new face lifted version released late last year, renault have realised the problem and increased the gross train weight to far better levels.

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for your comments. I have decided that I might be pushing my luck. I am trying to get out of the 4x4 market but I think that will be difficult.

Stephen
Try Ford Galaxy 2.8 V6, (built by Volkswagon,6 speed gear box) 31-36 mpg solo up to 70mph. 21-25 towing, Swift Conqueror twin axle 9approx. 1650 - 1700kg. at 60mph.110kg. noseweight and still level and rock steady.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
The suggestion by George is a good one apart from the engine, the petrol engine in the galaxy is probably the worst choice you could ever make. it is horendous for fuel consumption and it is placed in the highest tax band at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts