Grease??? On towball.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Is this right? Should there be grease on my towball? I just had the tow bar fitted by my usually trustworthy mechanic but he has butchered my new bumper (separate issue) and there is some sort of grease on my towball. Suffice to say I no longer trust him and he won't be touching my car again. Wouldn't this make the hitch slip off? I don't recall any mention of this in the instructions so would be grateful if some one experienced could comment.

Many thanks.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Unless you have a stabiliser built into the hitch (Winterhoff/ALKO style) you wont have a problem and it used to be common practice to prevent hitch or ball wear.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Towballs are normally greased unless they are used with a hitch stabiliser, in which case just wipe off the grease and clean the ball with white spirit.

If the ball is to be used with an Al-Ko stabiliser, then an appropriate Al-Ko ball should be used unless the ball is a detachable or a swan neck type. The standard bolt on towball does not allow sufficient clearance and articulation of the stabiliser hitch.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies folks. It's a blade type stabiliser I have and I doubt any caravan I buy will have an Alko one built in. Is it good practice to keep the towball greased then? What type of grease is it?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Like you Netti,I probably will not see a built in stabiliser hitch.

I use "copper ease" which you can get in a neat tooth paste style tube from any motor accessory shop or Halfords.

Just remember to keep the ball covered though, as you can rely on the grease leaping onto your best trousers like a magnet.

Steve L.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Steve. Is this the same as copper grease? I already have some of this for when changing brakes and putting wheel nuts back on. A little of it stops them from rusting and/or seizing on solid.

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Copper greases aren't really meant for metal-metal lubrication they're for high temperature applications such as exhaust manifolds, brake areas etc or as a thread anti corrosion/seize lubricant. A general low melting point grease would be fine.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Your quite right Bezzer, but copper ease or copper grease come in a handy tube which can easilybe stowed in the car boot.

As copper ease has high temperature lubrication properties it is less likely to liquify and dribble down the tow ball, making a right mess of both the hitch and the ball cover. All that copper ease is in basic terms is a very high melting point grease with very fine copper particles added to it.

The amount of rotation of a ball in the hitch is minimal compared to a bearing for instance.

Steve L.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
I've started using a PTFE sray lubricant from screwfix for general lubrication, the idea is that the solvent dries off leaving the PTFE behind as a "dry" lubricant, not a replacement for, but a lot less messy than grease

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree that any substitute for grease has to be worth a try.

Getting your hands,clothes etc plastered in grease residue is not good for harmony, especiallyif you've just ruined her ladyships royal frock.

I have a sisiter in law who no maatter how many times you advise her she still uses the ball socket on our goods trailer as her hand hold. I've even fitted a jockey wheel and extra handles but she still goes for the hitch cup.

She must have grease magnatised fingers!!

Funny to watch though.

Steve L.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
I was taught to use a little copper grease on the wheel nuts to stop them rusting in place and make removing them easier. This was on a car mechanics evening course at college. Pity they don't run such things for caravans come to think of it....

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Netti

My 5 year apprenticeship followed by 30 years in the motor trade out bids your evening class, so I stick to my earlier advice.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I think the grease is supposed to be applied AFTER the nuts have been tightened - just as a surface anti-rust scheme.

Can't really see the point myself - never in 45 years on the road have I had a problem removing wheel nuts because of rust.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I've started using a PTFE sray lubricant from screwfix for general lubrication, the idea is that the solvent dries off leaving the PTFE behind as a "dry" lubricant, not a replacement for, but a lot less messy than grease

Garfield,

Would your PTFE spray be any good in the awning chanel to lubricate without marking the awning?

TRENDING THREADS