greasy balls

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes and no!

When used in conjunction with a hitch stabiliser (Al-Ko or Winterhoff), the towball must NOT be greased as that contaminates the friction pads.

When used in conjunction with blade stabilisers, or no stabilisers at all, the towball should be greased to reduce wear.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i have been on sites ,and watched tow trucks going around the site and hitching up vans with there greasy tow ball ,and taking them back to the storage compound ,and they dont care if they are new or old type hitches

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Had same problem with Caravan dealer!!!!

Picked up old van with old style hitch (Greased)

then brought over my new van with alko stabilizer. and no thought whatsoever of cleaning the ball in-between tasks!!!

Made the sales man clean the pads before taking delivery.

Ant they are the experts!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

I have a small trailer that has the greasy hitch and a caravan that has the modern sabiliser.

I get around getting grease on my sphericals by covering the ball with a supermarket plastic bag folded in four between the hitch and the ball prior to hitching up.

It seems to survive the several mile journey to the tip without wearing out and stops the 'chatter' beteen the two surfaces at the same time.

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a detachable towbar which I got to avoid having the ugly bits out the back when not towing. My caravan has an alko 3004 and my box-trailer and boat trailer each have a greased hitch. I got round the problem by buying a second bracket for the towbar each with its own ball and cover. I just fit the one I need and don't even get my hands dirty!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts