Great advice in new PC mag!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good point Pete

I often mix them up even though we have the Fiamma levelling ramps with chocks as a matched pair in the fashionable yellow colour.
But then I get kettles and tea pots mixed up so is it any wonder I don't know my chock from my leveller!!

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
hi,does this mean i will soon have two magazines called OUT&ABOUT the caravan and camping club also use this name,have done for years???????

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Michael

Out and About is the name of a new mag from the Warner stable Caravan Life changed its name to Which Caravan and now just does caravan reviews. Out and About does a bit of everything and seems to be doinga good job(thats according to a few other postings that have been made). I don't know what the C&CC think about but they did advertise it when it was first launched. Give it a try you can get 6 issues for a tenner. I have also seen it for sale in Morrisons.

ColinB

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Easy tiger. I got into trouble for spouting off about the Mitsbushi add's (sponsorship deal ), oh and NOT QUITE nameing and shameing a crap site.

I thought the magazine was written by caravanners for caravanners.

Not all of us can afford, let alone be given posh new state of the art kit.

I have to live with a 23 year old van and a 7 year old tow tug.

As rightly said there are new commers to caravanning litteraly every day, and what might be perfectly practical and "do it in your sleep" stuff, is news to the newby.

I used to answer a lot of peoples questions on the forum on the basic stuff, but sadly there appears to be fewer new commers to the forum. May be the sarcastic micky takers have scarred them off!!

May be a trip down memory lane to ten years ago when there used to be DIY topics like fitting electrics, pitching your van, putting the awning up etc, would be more appropriate. Todays modern vans are going down the same route as the cars, and that is the dealer only service route. Tahts fine if you are friendly with the bank manager.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Similar views here Steve. I have often read Practical Mechanics, Practical Classics etc and found the the title to be pretty descriptive of content and a valuable information source when.

Not so with Practical Caravan.

Maybe you are correct - nobody is interested in the "hobby" side of caravanning any more.

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
I am new to caravanning. Got my second trip during October half term to Newquay.

In what order do I pitch the caravan and what is the easiest way to erect that dam awning!

No one explained at the 'handover' from the dealer.

J

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lay the poles out in front of where the awning will go to so that you don't have to go searching for the right pole while the awning is part erected.

If you have removable awning walls, remove them. It saves you having to move the whole awning around.

Thread the awning through the rail.

Slot the middle roof pole and it's supporting pole together and fix to the awning, caravan.

You will need one person to hold this pole up while erecting the next step.

Slot the two bars either side of the middle upright in. That's the secret bit that makes the whole experiance simple and you looking like a pro'.

All you need to do now is add the two end uprights and the end poles, one side at a time.

Once the poles are in place, make sure the awning is level to the caravan and zip in all the removable panels/walls.

Now Peg out one side at a time. While the other half threads the caravan skirt and wheel arch cover.

That's it! You'll find that you will start to have tasks and the the whole thing can be put up without a word needed.

Have fun.

Pete

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Jason, just to add to Pete's excellent instructions, It's easier to thread the awning into the rail from front to back.

I have to put my awning up on my own and find it a lot easier this way.

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot, very useful guide Gents.

You should write a guide and sell it to the manufacturers!

What about the pitching the caravan then?

Lower jockey wheel, unhitch, level, lower steadies?

J

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Excellent description from Pete above - just one thing I have found useful as I often site the caravan on my own and SWMBO joins me after she finnishes work:-

Once you have laid all the poles out onh the ground and run the awning right round the awning rail - I role up the awning and lay it on the roof of the caravan. This is not as difficult as it sounds but you do sometimes need more than the steps to do it.

I then construct the frame of the awning and site it in place with all the adjustments on the poles set "in the middle". I then gently role the awning off the caravan and over the frame - adjust and tie down. With our Trio Awning I just have to leave enough "slack" when putting the awning on the roof so that the awning poles can hang in the awning cups against the side of the caravan.

I have done this ever since I watched another guy do it this way on his own. So much easier than fumbling about under the awning. Slowly and gently does it and so far never had a mishap.

One other tip - before you take the doors out (which does make it easier) you may want to mark them so you know where they go. You can work it out but its not much fun when its raining or windy. We use plastic tape which can be removed easily.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot, very useful guide Gents.

You should write a guide and sell it to the manufacturers!

What about the pitching the caravan then?

Lower jockey wheel, unhitch, level, lower steadies?

J
Thats what I do with the 'van as soon as I arrive. I have a two way spirit level (available from Towsure for about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pitching is simple mate.

Get the 'van onto the pitch using the car.

Before un-hitching, check that the caravan is level sideways (use a spririt level on the work surface for this). If it's not level, either rotate the van or use ramps to get it as level as you can.

Un hitch the car and level the caravan longways by winding/unwinding the jockey wheel.

Now lower the steadies and check the van is still level longways as you might have raised one end with the steadies.

Note that the steadies are to steady the caravan only and they shouldn't be used as levelers.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts