Great advice in new PC mag!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alex tells us about her month with her free Hymer and equally free Honda CRV.

Then goes on about- went to a site and it was uneven, realised how hard it is to level a caravan without levelling chocks. They are now on my shopping list and will be an essentail item that I always take with me from now on!! (or words to that effect- forgive me I don't have the mag with me)

My God- how do you become the ed of a caravan mag without realising that a set of levelling chocks in the van might be useful. Doesn't everyone carry these. Even I knew that and have been vanning for less that a year.

Thought PC was losing it's way and that has confirmed it- hardly inspires confidence in the articles if the top lady writes stuff like that! Out & About subscription anyone!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul - agree with your comments - I have been looking at the content of PC in detail before purchase for some time now, whereas prior to the infamous sink drainer article I just picked it up and paid for it.

Since then I have not bought a single copy.

The Out & About mag by contrast provides a great read on a variety of subjects - each any every one so far I have read with interest.

Currently there is an offer via the CC magazine that allows 6 issues of Out & About for just

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
I can't wait for the feature on owners and their pets, that should be a jolly good read! Can you wait to read about Mavis and her marsupial? or what about Graham and his Giraffe, apparently his head pokes out through the heki.

Next month there is also a feature about "winding down the steadies" and 'connecting waste and water" with a special feature on "Security .......... how to lock the caravan door" I shall be waiting at the newsagents door with baited breath!

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. Just got back from my first outing with the 'van. A great weekend away and I enjoyed it very much.

But how can you all be so selfish! As a newcomer I find these type of topics that you refer to very helpful for beginners. This I found out first hand on my first time ever for towing, setting up etc. Well don PC keep up the good work recruitng new people to caravanning!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK I agree with you and I too thought that PC was my best mate when buying my van and getting out there for the first few times. Thing is that you soon learn your way around your van and want more detailed info, or places to visit. They can't keep readers for longer than 6 months. Thats why people use this forum- to speak to true experts.

A car mag wouldn't survive by saying- when you get your new car, sit down and turn the key- then place your hands on the wheel etc...

Although I will be buying the animals in caravans issue- if kanga's right I want to see that giraffe! How about the bloke who tows using a cow- calls it his caravan Moo- ver! Hmmm time I went!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They won't. Publishers like Haymarket find comments like these VERY useful. If your product is suffering (current ABC figures would suggest they are) then you need to know what to do to get your readers back. In the last 12 mths there has been What Caravan? and Out & About launched and this has hurt them.

The Editorial Directors will watch this site for new ideas and inspiration. They WANT all of us who use this site to buy the mag.

PC is not rubbish- just looking slightly wobbly in the face of some great competition.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must say I think Paul is totally correct. Without going over old ground the same issues were discussed when the sinkdrainer article appeared.

Yes PC seeks to be a valuable tool for when you first start but these days such info is more widely available from the www, the Caravan Club (excellent service) and from manuals such as Haynes.

What is needed is a good entertaining read - Out & About mag (sorry to mention it again) has provided me and the rest of my family with just that.

How entertaining can a review of how best to dry plates (paint drying IS more interesting) and now it would seem that caravan levelling blocks are now thought to be a good idea!

I think it was Basil Fawlty that said to Sybil:-

"You should appear on Mastermind - Special subject the bleeding obvious"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must say I think Paul is totally correct. Without going over old ground the same issues were discussed when the sinkdrainer article appeared.

Yes PC seeks to be a valuable tool for when you first start but these days such info is more widely available from the www, the Caravan Club (excellent service) and from manuals such as Haynes.

What is needed is a good entertaining read - Out & About mag (sorry to mention it again) has provided me and the rest of my family with just that.

How entertaining can a review of how best to dry plates (paint drying IS more interesting) and now it would seem that caravan levelling blocks are now thought to be a good idea!

I think it was Basil Fawlty that said to Sybil:-

"You should appear on Mastermind - Special subject the bleeding obvious"
I must admit that now this topic has been brought up it does seem that there have been several misguided - misinformed and incorrect articles and advice given in the PC mag.

I think the writing was on the wall when the editor asked for comments on the colour of caravans should they be white or otherwise. Why waste so much effort on such a trivial subject. Also in the past we have had a senior staff writer actually managing to turn a caravan over on the M25 whilst carrying out a live in test !!!! Some of the test reports have certainly indicated that the staff carrying these out are NOT experienced caravanners more like young journalists having a fun time with the free caravan and test car etc..

The new look mag is very nice to look at but would benefit from more sound and experienced advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that the young Jeremy Clarkson clone is very prevalent in "journalism" these days and they are more interested in sounding witty or superior than giving a proper revue.

I was a devotee of Diesel Car magazine for years until it adopted the Clarkson style.Now I never buy it.

A picture of the rear of the X-Trail had the words to the effect Looks great in the outback but from the back it lacks etc etc .

Practicality of the hatch when loading on a wet day was ignored

As was my suggestion that perhaps they should have a new section "Rear Of the Month"

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
What about the couples who are supposed to test caravans? You would expect them to at least spend a couple of days living in the caravan to test the setting up, water systems, beds etc. I was informed they only spend an afternoon in the caravan!! Neither do they tow the caravan. It is ready waiting on the site. How on earth can we learn anything from these so called tests. Experienced caravanners can mostly ignore these so called tests. For newcomers to caravanning they are virtually useless.

Hamer

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Got to agree with you, Kanga! Most of the stuff published 'for beginners' is available in caravan manuals. An awful lot of pitching, etc., is down to common sense.

I would also say that there is always somebody on site willing to pass on his knowledge to the newcomers. We even saw a new 'vanner who didn't know how to plug in his electric supply. Nobody made him feel 'useless' just gave him friendly advice.

However, we all must remember that not everybody knows everything about'vanning and we should all be ready to learn more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. Just got back from my first outing with the 'van. A great weekend away and I enjoyed it very much.

But how can you all be so selfish! As a newcomer I find these type of topics that you refer to very helpful for beginners. This I found out first hand on my first time ever for towing, setting up etc. Well don PC keep up the good work recruitng new people to caravanning!
Did the ducks come for breakfast Derek ?

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Did the ducks come for breakfast Derek ?
Not to us Im afraid Peter, I expect shredded wheat didnt appeal to them! However I cant thank you enough for the recommendation to this sight. Although we had been to Bridgnorth umpteen times before its amazing how different a place can become when you have just a little more time to enjoy it. The site was terrific, thanks again, Derek.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Paul post referred to a so called experienced person going out without chocks etc and not an article about getting chocks. the fact that it was the editor beggars belief! No wonder every new caravan gets a glowing report. I cancelled my subscription any way and will now only purchase if there are site related reviews.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife loves chocs but it was chocks the lead to her downfall.

As we were leaving a site after a week's stay she picked up a wrapper from some new levelling chocks that our friend had left on the ground.

On the way to the bin she tripped and broke her ankle in 3 places.

Not very amusing !!

Could the author of the article in question have been writing it from the view point of someone new to caravaning perhaps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Throughout the magazine we endeavour to address subjects for every level of caravanner, and while many of our readers are very experienced caravanners, there are others who feel reassured to read about more basic topics such as the need for chocks or how it's important to have a pair of them to hand. Please remember that there are always other readers out there for whom it will be of interest, while for more experienced caravanners

Actually, I don't think chocks are such an obvious necessity: for example, after a summer in which I have caravanned for a week in every four to produce the magazine's Great Escapes article I have only required them two or three times on the many sites and pitches I have stayed on. What's more, I have never needed them until this summer, despite the frequent caravanning I do for the magazine.

But to come back to my first point, we try to include something for everyone, whether they're new to caravanning, old hands looking for new ideas and entertainment, or just after travel inspiration. And with this year's sales continuing to far outstrip the competition to date, I think we've got the balance right.

Alex Newby - PCV Editor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Throughout the magazine we endeavour to address subjects for every level of caravanner, and while many of our readers are very experienced caravanners, there are others who feel reassured to read about more basic topics such as the need for chocks or how it's important to have a pair of them to hand. Please remember that there are always other readers out there for whom it will be of interest, while for more experienced caravanners

Actually, I don't think chocks are such an obvious necessity: for example, after a summer in which I have caravanned for a week in every four to produce the magazine's Great Escapes article I have only required them two or three times on the many sites and pitches I have stayed on. What's more, I have never needed them until this summer, despite the frequent caravanning I do for the magazine.

But to come back to my first point, we try to include something for everyone, whether they're new to caravanning, old hands looking for new ideas and entertainment, or just after travel inspiration. And with this year's sales continuing to far outstrip the competition to date, I think we've got the balance right.

Alex Newby - PCV Editor
as the saying goes

you can please all of the people some of the time

some of the people all of the time

but you can't please all of the people all of the time

the mags ok,believe me

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
as the saying goes

you can please all of the people some of the time

some of the people all of the time

but you can't please all of the people all of the time

the mags ok,believe me
Hear! Hear! Klarky, its the best of the lot despite Clives repetitive postings about Out and About (or whatever its called). Sorry Clive, couldn't resist that mate lmaoooooo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The website may not be perfect,the mag may not be perfect but then what in life is perfect!!

What I like is the readiness of the Moderator and now the Editor to address points raised(not always diplomatically) and to try to put them right.

The now defunct Caravan Mag was an example of the opposite

They gave a review of our Claremont 2 berth caravan and then printed the spec for the 4 berth.

No amount of E-mailing and letters asking for any other forum contributors who had the 4 berth version!!! could get them to correct this error which remained for 3 years(even in outfit matching).

There is no point in a forum if people do not listen and respond to issues raised.

That is not the case here and I feel that there is a genuine desire to get things right despite the restrictions of the web site.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The website may not be perfect,the mag may not be perfect but then what in life is perfect!!

What I like is the readiness of the Moderator and now the Editor to address points raised(not always diplomatically) and to try to put them right.

They gave a review of our Claremont 2 berth caravan and then printed the spec for the 4 berth.

No amount of E-mailing and letters asking for any other forum contributors who had the 4 berth version!!! could get them to correct this error which remained for 3 years(even in outfit matching).

There is no point in a forum if people do not listen and respond to issues raised.

That is not the case here and I feel that there is a genuine desire to get things right despite the restrictions of the web site.

Thanks.
Its the raising not the dealing that is not always done diplomatically !!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One small technical point. Ramps are used for raising wheels to make the caravan level.

Chocks are used to stop the caravan from rolling.

Thats why they're used on airplanes, stop stop them moving and not to make them level for the pilots comfort.

Chocks away!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks.
Less than perfect from me I should have said Caravan Life mag--oops

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One small technical point. Ramps are used for raising wheels to make the caravan level.

Chocks are used to stop the caravan from rolling.

Thats why they're used on airplanes, stop stop them moving and not to make them level for the pilots comfort.

Chocks away!
I beg your pardon -

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts