Greece 2009

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi people,

"She who must be obeyed" has got the hots for going to Greece next year. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

I've looked on other web sites and the general opinion seems to be to travel to Italy and get a ferry from the North to Greece.

We are "well seasoned" as they say, but any info would be great.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought Brindisi to Patras would be one of the best options, but it is a 1300 plus mile drive from Calais to Brindisi.

When a teenager we travelled the Brindisi Pireaus ferry 4 times and Pireaus/Athens was not for the faint hearted driver just with a car even then. Taking a caravan I would think Patras to be the best option.

Air Con would be a good idea to!

G

Greece is on my list of 'to visdit' places. We have doe it through package tours and enjoyed it very much so would also like to go for longer with the van. I know many motorhome users have done it many times but ony a few caravanners. So I would be grateful to hear what information you get back.

I gather the bets route is from Venice to Patras and you can sleep in your own outfit on a special car deck with free showers etc. Most visitors this way tend to stick to the Peloponese peninsula and there are, i believe very friendly sites, with varyaing degrees of facilities. But who cares when the Stefado is excellent and the sun is hot. The advice about A/C is probably wise and again i am looking at a motorhome next for this very reason. Plus the ability to carry more 'clutter'. I have toyed with the idea of making a shade for the whole van using aluminum backed canvas, but have not sdesigned one yet. In France when it hit 40 degrees C we used cocoumt mats inside the awning to cut the sun down and make a reasonable shade.

Anyway, very interested to hear what you get back

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Sadie and Scotch!

I've been told that the Venice way is the best route, and the idea of sleeping in my own bed is a winner.

I'll let you know, Scotch, as and when I hear of any more gen.

If you would like to send your email address to me I'll let you know what I can find out.

We are looking to go over in early May next year.

john

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi John

Ihave not been myself but did meet a lady traveling alone some time ago on her way to Venice for the ferry and she intended using the van during the crossing. A Mr Barker now sadly passed away did visit greece many times and produced his own guide that was available from the caravan Club at one time it might be worth asking if they have any left.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS