Green card for caravans

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My caravan insurance covers third party liability when not hitched and a quick look at another insurer also covers third party. I would be very surprised if any UK policies did not include it.

That would mean, however, that you need two Green Cards for the caravan, one to cover for third party claims when it is hitched to the car and the other when it is unhitched.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That would mean, however, that you need two Green Cards for the caravan, one to cover for third party claims when it is hitched to the car and the other when it is unhitched.
I think I have already understood that point from previous posts above. Viz #7

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
All UK policies cover any trailer for third part liabilities although some insurers will want you to specify what you tow and while they would still have to deal with a claim for an unspecified trailer they could then look to you to recover their payments.
Under the new system you would have to inform the insurer of any trailer taken abroad and it would issue a second green card for that if required. Caravans will need one and you would need the chassis number which would be shown on the green card.
Most continental countries need the caravan to be registered as well and have the caravans third party cover on the caravan policy. Our system seems more sensible, as if there is an accident there is only the cars insurer involved. If the two halves are covered by different companies the opportunity for disputes between them as to which is responsible is obvious and would inevitably increase costs.

I thought it had already been confirmed on here that there will be only one Green Card but both the car and caravan will be nominated on it.

Providing the chassis number may present a problem as most modern caravans do not have one per se. I have heard of people who have presented their caravan to the German Tüv system to get a Tempo100 sticker and have been asked for the chassis number have had to resort to using the CRiS number! Strange given that the majority of caravan chassis' used in this country originate from Al-Ko - a German company!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I thought it had already been confirmed on here that there will be only one Green Card but both the car and caravan will be nominated on it.

Providing the chassis number may present a problem as most modern caravans do not have one per se. I have heard of people who have presented their caravan to the German Tüv system to get a Tempo100 sticker and have been asked for the chassis number have had to resort to using the CRiS number! Strange given that the majority of caravan chassis' used in this country originate from Al-Ko - a German company!

The Green Card for the car will show its registration number. The Green Card for the caravan can, for a UK caravan, only show its VIN number because it's not registered, but both are entered at the same location on the card, so there have to be two.

All caravans produced since whole vehicle type approval came into force in 2014 must display a VIN number. AlKo does not supply the VIN number but the caravan manufacturer. It is shown on the statutory plate which is applied by the caravan manufacturer.

Reactions: JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

I thought the opposite. The van & car need individual Green Cards, though both are issued by our car's insurer. So two not one green card.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately there are so many different opinions being presented the thread is very confusing with no clarity.

It would be unwise to take the opinions expressed in this thread as gospel. This is a case where it is almost essential to to get professional advice - so speak to your insurance companies and get written advice from them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately there are so many different opinions being presented the thread is very confusing with no clarity.

It would be unwise to take the opinions expressed in this thread as gospel. This is a case where it is almost essential to to get professional advice - so speak to your insurance companies and get written advice from them.
I’ve read that some insurers will give individual cards. Others Mark both “vehicles” on one card. So unless there’s a unifying dictat from MIB there may be alternative options. What is not unclear is that the caravan and car both need to be covered by a green card(s) issued by the cars insurer.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

It is, however, crystal clear in the UK Government's website, possibly better presently than talking to some insurance companies "call centres" . LINK.

Quote:
"You will need to carry extra green cards if:

you’re towing a trailer or caravan (one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer or caravan)"

Reactions: Mel
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a problem in determining whether the car or the caravan is to blame in case of an accident. It should be relatively easy to establish whether the caravan struck an object or person or the car. If it was the caravan, then third party insurance on the caravan would be liable. Besides, a separate third party insurance on the caravan would cover an accident caused by the caravan when it was unhitched, such as a runaway caravan on a hill where someone forgot to apply the handbrake.
Do not underestimate the ability of insurers, especially continental ones, to argue on liability. In most cases it is straightforward but quite a few will throw up problems. If the caravan detaches or overturns there will be arguments as to why, and which should deal with the claims, even cutting a corner and hitting something or someone can be argued over, it may be the drivers fault but which policy deals.

The green cards are the responsibility of your insurer who will issue them. You will need to make sure you get one for the caravan as the numbers being issued is small as an overall proportion of green cards and some handlers may forget the question or even not know about it although I would hope they have all had the training and the system used to issue them should prompt the staff to ask.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Do not underestimate the ability of insurers, especially continental ones, to argue on liability. In most cases it is straightforward but quite a few will throw up problems. If the caravan detaches or overturns there will be arguments as to why, and which should deal with the claims, even cutting a corner and hitting something or someone can be argued over, it may be the drivers fault but which policy deals.
I think in the vast majority of accidents involving a caravan outfit it is easy to determine whether the car or the caravan came into contact with the third party. If it was the car then car's insurance would be liable, if the caravan then it's insurance.
A further advantage of having two Green Cards is that any towing vehicle can be combined with any trailer. This is especially for road hauliers where a truck may make the outward journey with one trailer and the return journey with a different one. Personally, I have two trailers - a caravan and a flatbed. With a Green Card for each, I can tow any one of the two at any time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One form that often gets ignored is the European Accident Form. I have always taken several copies and translation in the appropriate language(s). It helps in establishing the status of the accident. Why it has never been encouraged/required in UK is a bit baffling.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One form that often gets ignored is the European Accident Form. I have always taken several copies and translation in the appropriate language(s). It helps in establishing the status of the accident. Why it has never been encouraged/required in UK is a bit baffling.

The European Accident Form is quite useful because it does ask all the pertinent questions, but one is not under any obligation to use it. I had an accident in Italy a couple of years ago and everything was taken care of without filling out the form.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Third party bodily injury and third party property damage remains a mandatory insurance requirement across Europe including U.K.. Hence as said previously the Green card, which we had many years ago, is proof that car and hitched caravan are Insured for the mandatory minimum.
Where the caravan is unhitched , and rolls away as Lutz describes, I haven’t as yet seen a mandatory requirement for insurance in that scenario. My own CAMC policy does give the appropriate liability cover. I imagine others will to but check.
The concern will be those who do not insure their caravan separately or those who do not understand the subtle difference.
In fact prior to Brexit a lot of U.K. certificates of motor insurance had on the reverse side Eu words, French etc confirming cover just like the Green card!

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Where the caravan is unhitched , and rolls away as Lutz describes, I haven’t as yet seen a mandatory requirement for insurance in that scenario. My own CAMC policy does give the appropriate liability cover. I imagine others will to but check.
The concern will be those who do not insure their caravan separately or those who do not understand the subtle difference.
In fact prior to Brexit a lot of U.K. certificates of motor insurance had on the reverse side Eu words, French etc confirming cover just like the Green card!
To the best of my knowledge, the UK does not require mandatory third party insurance for a trailer while it is unhitched on a public road because such a requirement only applies to motor vehicles. A trailer on its own is treated as a movable obstruction, but that is not the case on the Continent.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, the UK does not require mandatory third party insurance for a trailer while it is unhitched on a public road because such a requirement only applies to motor vehicles. A trailer on its own is treated as a movable obstruction, but that is not the case on the Continent.
Correct.Agree

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are correct as at that time it is no longer a vehicle but if it is insured then the cover when unattached will apply. In the road transport industry here the norm is for the trailers to be covered as part of a commercial vehicle policy. Because the trailers are valuable the owners will normally include them in the policy, which then gives cover even when detached. With bigger fleets due to the numbers they are covered under the term "unspecified trailers" with a declaration as to the numbers and maximum value.

I understand where you ae coming from on the policy responsible where there are two insurers but in fact the usual problem is the driver rather than the car or trailer which complicates matters as both policies indemnify the driver. Having worked with claims all my working life I know the problems it throws up.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you are correct as at that time it is no longer a vehicle but if it is insured then the cover when unattached will apply. In the road transport industry here the norm is for the trailers to be covered as part of a commercial vehicle policy. Because the trailers are valuable the owners will normally include them in the policy, which then gives cover even when detached. With bigger fleets due to the numbers they are covered under the term "unspecified trailers" with a declaration as to the numbers and maximum value.

I understand where you ae coming from on the policy responsible where there are two insurers but in fact the usual problem is the driver rather than the car or trailer which complicates matters as both policies indemnify the driver. Having worked with claims all my working life I know the problems it throws up.

A trailer remains a vehicle whether it is hitched or not, but it is not a motor vehicle. That's why it is treated differently in the UK than on the Continent. Insurance policies on the trailer do not normally cover the payload. A friend bought a Range Rover in the Czech Republic and brought it back home on a low loader. He had an accident where both the trailer and the Range Rover were write-offs, but the insurance on his trailer only covered the trailer so the Range Rover was a total loss.

Policies, and hence Green Cards too, are issued in the name of the policyholder, not the driver, so there is always scope for a potential issue, regardless of whether the trailer is covered by the policy on the towing vehicle or not.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The trailer insurance would only cover the trailer and not the load. If the low loader was operated by a contractor he should have had goods in transit insurance to cover the load. A contractor carrying other parties goods is liable for them if damaged by his negligence or if by another parties fault that party.
I agree motor policies are in the name of the car owner, and if towing some other parties caravan the caravan insurers could hold the car owner liable for any damage. In this country the car insurer would still have to deal with any third party claims, on the continent third party claims would be dealt with by the appropriate insurer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts