Green card for caravans

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You all may already know this, but when travel to Europe is allowed again you will need a green card for your caravan as well as your car. I didn’t know this so mentioning it in case I wasn’t the only one.
mel

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You all may already know this, but when travel to Europe is allowed again you will need a green card for your caravan as well as your car. I didn’t know this so mentioning it in case I wasn’t the only one.
mel

I think I knew this from years ago. But thank you for the reminder. No idea if we will be going abroad in 2021. Will play that by ear.

John

PS Actually, just checked. And to clarify. The caravan green card will be provided by your car insurer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This was stated some while back about caravan green card and was said not to be true. Then in Saturdays Times it said a green card for caravan would be required. It actually contributes nothing vas in UK caravans aren’t registered and whilst towing it’s the cars insurance that covers the trailer. Since caravan or trailer insurance isn’t compulsory in this country some may find obtaining a caravan green card quite a challenge. The only thing a caravan green card could cover would be risks to people or objects when pitched.
I’m sure some clarification will be issued by the Clubs. Remember the misinformation regarding the need for kmh stickers on the back?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The only thing a caravan green card could cover would be risks to people or objects when pitched.

I think it does not cover that, but proves the towing vehicle has cover for any damage to third parties that arise from "towing", ie like the van side swiping a cyclist.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it does not cover that, but proves the towing vehicle has cover for any damage to third parties that arise from "towing", ie like the van side swiping a cyclist.
My car insurance covers me fir third party events including when towing. So what does a seperate caravan green card do for me? Perhaps Continental car insurances do not cover the trailer as a normal part of cover.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As said, my thoughts are it proves that your UK insurer is covering the caravan. A french car insurance only covers a trailer up to 750 kgs. For most of us such a limit is not adequate.

See Rule 2 of this link, which indicates the French system.
As I suggested some continental car insurance may not cover the trailer albeit with a 750 kg the French one does. My cover for towing the caravan isn’t on the Certificate of Insurance but defined in the policy for the car. So the second green card now makes sense as it gives an instant read out to anyone requiring to check cover for the trailer/caravan.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know if this is true for all insurers but LV state that they will put your van make and model and vin on the caravan green card. Which, though not necessary over here, could make life simpler if stopped abroad.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It all arises because caravans are independently registered on the continent where ours are not. It looks as though for clarity two green cards may be necessary but both will come from your motor insurer.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i will doubt we will be going to europe next year our season quite full at present so we might be looking at south of france 2022 ( but we will need two green cards from motor insurance )

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My car insurance covers me fir third party events including when towing. So what does a seperate caravan green card do for me? Perhaps Continental car insurances do not cover the trailer as a normal part of cover.
The green card provides proof of third party insurance for the caravan. If the car insurance covers that, then the caravan must never be parked on a public road on the Continent without being hitched to the car.
Yes, because caravans are generally registered, taxed and insured as separate vehicles on the Continent, the car insurance will not cover the caravan in such cases. That's why separate proof of insurance for the caravan is required.

Reactions: otherclive and JTQ
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have separate proof of insurance for my caravan and breakdown cover is with RAC (but i make sure i have a green card with me as well) but if we go to south of france looking to go with the caravan club it would be my first time but that would 2022

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The green card provides proof of third party insurance for the caravan. If the car insurance covers that, then the caravan must never be parked on a public road on the Continent without being hitched to the car.
That is indeed the case in the UK as I found out when access to my property was blocked by a parked car [more abandoned ]. The police told me I would have to leave my car coupled to the caravan. or find somewhere off the lane to leave it. I could not leave it by itself on the lane.

i have separate proof of insurance for my caravan and breakdown cover is with RAC (but i make sure i have a green card with me as well) but if we go to south of france looking to go with the caravan club it would be my first time but that would 2022

But are you sure that caravan insurance, which I assume is a UK based policy, covers third party liability whilst it is towed?
I suspect not as it is not the normal UK system, here the car insurance has to cover that, hence the need from now on for that second green card whilst travelling outside of the UK.
Simple enough to set up, but just part of the extra hassle "we" have opted for.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That is indeed the case in the UK as I found out when access to my property was blocked by a parked car [more abandoned ]. The police told me I would have to leave my car coupled to the caravan. or find somewhere off the lane to leave it. I could not leave it by itself on the lane.

But are you sure that caravan insurance, which I assume is a UK based policy, covers third party liability whilst it is towed?
I suspect not as it is not the normal UK system, here the car insurance has to cover that, hence the need from now on for that second green card whilst travelling outside of the UK.
Hi JTQ Well seeing i am not going to Europe still 2022 i have plenty of time to set up two green cards next year i am fully booked in britain

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi JTQ Well seeing i am not going to Europe still 2022 i have plenty of time to set up two green cards next year i am fully booked in britain
Don’t forget the IDP will be required unless UK and EU agree reciprocity. That requires a visit to a Post Office.............anyone remember those?

When I drove my dads car to go to Interlaken I’d passed my test two weeks before and obtained the IDP from the local AA office. But once in Europe apart from entering Switzerland border checks were very cursory. In fact entering Germany the border staff waved us to go faster through the checkpoint as we were holding up traffic. Only our return to Dover was marred. Everything was pulled out of the car by our meticulous border staff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I believe that there is an understanding that if two different policies (i.e car or caravan) that seem to cover the same liability, the insurance companies come to an agreement on how to apportion the liability. But in the UK if a caravan is hitched at the time of any incident, the third party cover is the liability of the car insurance as the combination is considered to be the "vehicle".

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Don’t forget the IDP will be required unless UK and EU agree reciprocity. That requires a visit to a Post Office.............anyone remember those?

Well, I certainly remember them as most of my working life involved periods driving in many countries all over the world. Very easily obtained anyway.

But returning to driving in the EU after 1st Jan 2021, the "deal" does not require having one for the great bulk of us with a photo identity UK licence, issued in mainland UK. Paper licenses & those from Channel Island etc, there remains a possibility nearer a probability you will.
Or that is what I read.
LINK

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
All UK policies cover any trailer for third part liabilities although some insurers will want you to specify what you tow and while they would still have to deal with a claim for an unspecified trailer they could then look to you to recover their payments.
Under the new system you would have to inform the insurer of any trailer taken abroad and it would issue a second green card for that if required. Caravans will need one and you would need the chassis number which would be shown on the green card.
Most continental countries need the caravan to be registered as well and have the caravans third party cover on the caravan policy. Our system seems more sensible, as if there is an accident there is only the cars insurer involved. If the two halves are covered by different companies the opportunity for disputes between them as to which is responsible is obvious and would inevitably increase costs.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Most continental countries need the caravan to be registered as well and have the caravans third party cover on the caravan policy. Our system seems more sensible, as if there is an accident there is only the cars insurer involved. If the two halves are covered by different companies the opportunity for disputes between them as to which is responsible is obvious and would inevitably increase costs.

I don't see a problem in determining whether the car or the caravan is to blame in case of an accident. It should be relatively easy to establish whether the caravan struck an object or person or the car. If it was the caravan, then third party insurance on the caravan would be liable. Besides, a separate third party insurance on the caravan would cover an accident caused by the caravan when it was unhitched, such as a runaway caravan on a hill where someone forgot to apply the handbrake.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't see a problem in determining whether the car or the caravan is to blame in case of an accident. It should be relatively easy to establish whether the caravan struck an object or person or the car. If it was the caravan, then third party insurance on the caravan would be liable. Besides, a separate third party insurance on the caravan would cover an accident caused by the caravan when it was unhitched, such as a runaway caravan on a hill where someone forgot to apply the handbrake.
My caravan insurance covers third party liability when not hitched and a quick look at another insurer also covers third party. I would be very surprised if any UK policies did not include it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
My caravan insurance covers third party liability when not hitched and a quick look at another insurer also covers third party. I would be very surprised if any UK policies did not include it.

Yes, but here we have the problem that as we don't have to have third party caravan insurance, things can go really wrong in the runaway case. Not only potentially life changing for anyone hit, but financially life changing for the owner if covering major injury costs for someones complete lifetime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts