ground sheet for awning

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
incase you havent spoted my earlier posts ,i have bought a new well (s/h) caravan ,its an omega484, it comes with a awning but no ground sheet , what do i need ? again i have searched but too much info so advice please
thanks again

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Morning Kent. I'd say no groundsheet at all, because if you leave it down for more than a few days it will kill the grass underneath. Yes, even the "breathable ones". If they don't kill it, they tear it up as you lift the sheet.
We no longer use an awning, but did so for many years, and only ever used a small doormat by the door.

May 8, 2010
Visit site
They are helpful on hardstanding/gravel/ shingle pitches though but you still need,on grass we take a couple of those foam squares that fit together like a jigsaw to put the dog bed on during the day to stop it from getting damp off the grass, and prop them up against the van at night, a ground sheet does help when folding your awnig back up though.

think about where you go and if you really need one.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,
Most, if not all, sites insist on "breathable" groundsheets, even then some sites will also request that groundsheets be lift off grass pitches regularly to help prevent damage to the grass. You will soon notice the pitches where caravanners have not adhered to the requests, they will be the piches with the large brown rectangle of dead grass.
I prefer to use a groundsheet, find it easier on the feet, you don't bring as much grass and dirt into the caravan. Even on gravel hardstandings I will use a groundsheet if the awning is erected. I use a material known as softex, if you google it you will find suppliers and descriptions. I have used it on site for periods of up to 2 weeks at a time and when lifted the grass has been o.k. After that amount of time the grass does start to grow through it though. It's not at its best in very wet weather, because of its mesh like construction it can get a bit dirty with worm casts etc in really damp conditions.
Although I prefer to use one it's not something I would say is essential. It's one of the items you could hold off buying until you have had a couple of outings, speak to people on site, gather some different views and opinions and make your own mind up.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken, we always go for hard standing pitches if possible and as there is no problems with killing grass, we put down a B&Q green tarpaulin first and then an awning carpet on top. This keeps out moisture and helps protect the carpet. The B&Q tarpaulins are cheap for their size and it proved a god send on our last trip when we had bad weather most of the time. When we lifted it on departure, it was soaking underneath so this saved us wet feet and a lot of damp inside the awning. We tend to use the open weave stuff for the top which is nice and soft under foot and not overly expensive. There are some price cuts around on carpet at the moment if you shop around.

Bri

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
d & p have they a listing on ebay ?could you post a link if posible please)
to other posters , yes i need a ground sheet , the sites i'm intending to go to are hardstanding for the van and grass for the awning , i want whats best , yes breathable too so is it possible for links to ebay listings please ??? i know the sheets are 2.5 wide but what length ? here is a link to details to a similar van http://www.derbycaravancentre.com/caravan-brochures/compass-caravan-details.php?VanID=2007-compass-omega-484
would it be 5.5 i need ?
thanks again ppl

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi
The website is www.breathablegroundsheet.co.uk they will cut your groundsheet to size so it is more or less exact size so no need for tripping over bits that are folded under etc. Don't think they are on Ebay, but you can order direct off their website anyway and they have express delivery if you need it quick.

Hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We have just bought a Morrocan plastic carpet,I think Val A might have posted about them.They are a large mat,mine is 2.4 x 4.5 meters quite thick,easily lifted to lie outside on or to clean etc.very light as well cost £55.Have been very pleased although only used it for a couple of days so far

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Deli Dave_374550494 said:
We have just bought a Morrocan plastic carpet,I think Val A might have posted about them.They are a large mat,mine is 2.4 x 4.5 meters quite thick,easily lifted to lie outside on or to clean etc.very light as well cost £55.Have been very pleased although only used it for a couple of days so far

Is this the same sort of matting ?

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thats it lol its very light and we did think of buying a small one to lie on at the beach.Its also edged all round so no fraying.Just hope its as good as the salesman said
Its also quite thick and should deaden rough bits on a hardstanding

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
D and P said:
Hi The website is www.breathablegroundsheet.co.uk they will cut your groundsheet to size so it is more or less exact size so no need for tripping over bits that are folded under etc. Don't think they are on Ebay, but you can order direct off their website anyway and they have express delivery if you need it quick. Hope this helps.

Over the years we have bought a few items from them and found the service to be good. Our last groundsheet was the Bolon type and is very good. For size measure the bottom length of the awning skirt rail of the caravan for length and width will be 2.5metres which is standard awning size.

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
flipperNI said:
They charge £23 for delivery to Northern Ireland. :-(
yea !!! thats why i was looking for an ebay listing to see what the p&p was !!! sometimes we can score with the p&p on ebay !!!
it should be illegal for them to charge extra to post over here !!! parcel force dont charge extra to deliver to ni (fact) i have it in writing from them !!! i use a web site regulary to lift goods in the main land and they bring them to my door ,it called www.senditnow.com (its parcel force under a differnt name/wholesale) its parcel forces vans etc ,£12 to lift a parcel up to 30kg and bring it to my door !! you coulden beat it , i have used them to lift car parts for my buisness (wings/bumbers/sideskirts/etc)

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
Don't the preceding 2 posts constitute a breach of the rules (ie advertising), especially as the company logo is used as the avatar?

maybe they are registered as traders !!! (other sites i use let ppl use logos/web address if they are registered as traders on the site (fee payable)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This website doesn't have the facility for traders to register in the way that you have suggested Ken. There is a strict no advertising or promotions policy to prevent the forum from being overrun by advertisers seeking free advertising for their products. There are no exceptions, moderators remove all adverts that they see or which are pointed out to them by fellow members whether the adverts are from private individuals or companies selling their wares or services. Repeat offenders are banned from using the forum.

TRENDING THREADS