Ground Sheet or this stuff?

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,
In the caravan I've just bought, instead of a regular groundsheet, there is this jigsaw puzzle flooring stuff (see picture: https://www.bigdug.co.uk/images/products/1550578821-67238200.png).

I can't see any advantage in using this over a traditional breathable groundsheet. It must take ages to lay and pick up, and will only lay truly flat on a hard level surface. Anybody else used it in an awning? Am I missing something obvious?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hard to tell from the photo but they look more workshop grade tiles as opposed to the lightweight EVA foam type, and I agree that they would apperar to be designed for say a concrete floor.

This is the sort of thing I normally come across and would be relatively quick to lay and remove.
https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Kampa-Easy-Lock-Multi-Purpose-Flooring-Tiles/m-1196.aspx

I have seen campers place a breathable carpet type membrane over the top of them so that a cushioned relatively flat surface can be maintained within an awning.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Waysideken said:
Hi all,
In the caravan I've just bought, instead of a regular groundsheet, there is this jigsaw puzzle flooring stuff (see picture: https://www.bigdug.co.uk/images/products/1550578821-67238200.png).

I can't see any advantage in using this over a traditional breathable groundsheet. It must take ages to lay and pick up, and will only lay truly flat on a hard level surface. Anybody else used it in an awning? Am I missing something obvious?

IN the caravan, as a floor covering ?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you search in ebay for 'awning carpet breathable' you can cheaply buy a carpet the size of your awning to lay out and roll up/fold up when done. Easily hosed clean. Check the weight and descriptions as it appears that there are many similar carpets at quite dissimilar prices! They are flexible to lay over grass, thick enough to lay over a hardstanding and repack small too. If you want the perforated squares that Anseo linked then Aldi usually have them in the spring in either blue or green, along with other caravan bits like aquaroll covers, loo fluids etc. Or you can get posh examples that look like grass or wood in caravan assessories outlets!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
If your after a breathable floor cover have a look in Aldi as they normally have ones in for about £2o , plus other odds and sods for camping & caravaning stuff .

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
We use the tiles Anseo mentions,,"she" puts them down while finish pegging the awning. Easy to lay and pick up and we made a bag to carry them in.
Bought them at the Caravan show 3 years ago and were pretty cheap.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same as Pensioner, we have the interlocking Tiles, if its muddy then feed a walkway out of the awning by two squares, we carry six in a bag,about 2 kg. Midshipes in the storage under the bed. Depending on the awning we take and the weather, depends if we take more.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Those tiles are absolutely brilliant and are very lightweight. We bought a load from ALDI at about £4 for four pieces. We used to lay them down on a hardstanding and then the groundsheet on top. Very comfortable to walk on. Those look like the Isabella ones and are very expensive. Better used on a permanent seasonal site.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
But how do they lay on uneven ground. I have visions off the edges standing proud and yours truly spilling his Vino Collapso tripping over it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:
But how do they lay on uneven ground. I have visions off the edges standing proud and yours truly spilling his Vino Collapso tripping over it.

Never had that problem as they interlock quite well however a Bolon carpet on top may help. Does any one still drink vinegar with added sugar? :cheer:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No, one drinks Theakstons Old Peculier or Hobgoblin when one can. Or perhaps a rather splendid single malt. In truth, Vino Collapso is only good for the continentals and getting the flies off the windscreen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts