Groundsheet's

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I'm a newbie to caravaning & I need to buy a ground sheet for our awning!

The question is: what do you use?

Breathable or non-breathable.

Non-breathable costs under £20.00 & breathable cost £40.00+

The only breathable one I've seen is like that non-slip matting, but surly the grass will soon grow through the holes, or am I wrong!

The site I'm going to in August states they prefer breathable ground-sheets where permissible!

What do you thing I should buy???

Thanks......Steven.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Steven,I think you have answered your own question.The whole idea of the breathable groundsheets is that the grass can keep growing so you dont leave a horrible patch of yellow slimey grass when you leave....Brian.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
I see your point Brian,

So is it worth having a ground-sheet at all?

what are the extra benefits of having a breathable ground-sheet,

I am a newbie, so I would like to know what most people prefer!

Steven

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"So is it worth having a groundsheet at all?"

I use a breathable groundsheet over Easter, but have not used one in the summer for years. Try it - one less thing to carry.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
usually takes about a week for grass to start showing through a breathable ground sheet. Sure on a dry pitch in summer it might be worth considering leaving it off as the grass is quite soft to feet. But the *** butts and chewing gum are a pain!!

We often cheat in winter and put a tarpauline (

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
"So is it worth having a groundsheet at all?"

I use a breathable groundsheet over Easter, but have not used one in the summer for years. Try it - one less thing to carry.
I agree. You don't really need one in summer as you can use just a couple of free standing mats of some sort for immediately outside the door etc. More and more sites are asking for groundsheets to be raised by 10.oo a.m. which is a real pain if you have things stored in an awning or if you are still cooking your breakfast! I would try it without first and see what you think as you can always buy one later if necessary. Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been using a breathable ground sheet for years. It just makes the area in the awning more pleasant, particularly on continental sites where there are often large patches of bare earth where other awnings have been.

I've never had any problems cleaning it, if it gets muddy just wait for it to dry and the mud brushes off.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have used both types of ground sheets, but still prefer the feel of grass underfoot. The breathable ground sheets tend to let water and mud through and I don't like paddling around in wellies all day in the awning. As suggested earlier, don't waste money on ground sheeets they really aren't necessary. And its one thing less to worry about when travelling.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a breathable groundsheet on all pitch types, and also find them to be useful on gravel pitches. At least you can then walk around in the awning without shoes on, and the kids can play on the ground if it's raining. Our dog hates walking on gravel, so she also prefers the softer feel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts