GRP Sides v Aluminium

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi, new posting here but have been looking in for ages!

We are looking for a new or used tourer and really like the Elddis/Compass 550 layout.

We have looked at both dealer specials and the standard models and the dealer specials have ‘upgraded’ GRP sides as part of the package which, to me, seems a really good idea as they don’t dent as easily but weirdly, the more upmarket models in the ranges still have aluminium sides.

Am I missing something? Is aluminium superior to GRP?

Is GRP cheaper and that’s why this is used on the dealer specials?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had both and as with most things there are strengths and weaknesses, IMO Grp resists the minor bumps and scratches better, say if you should drop an awning pole against the van, aluminium can dent at the slightest pressure, I once dropped my keys when opening the toilet locker and they dented the aluminium. The other benefit of Grp is that repairs are easier should you suffer some damage, by easier I mean that sometimes a panel will be repairable where aluminium would need a replacement panel. Also Grp will resist things like hailstorms better. Having said that Grp tends to be heavier, and the finish is not as shiny as aluminium. For side panels it is your choice, I would be more concerned about front and rear panels, where the choice is normally between GRP or ABS plastic, having had a cracked rear panel in ABS, and the ensuing repair problems I would always look for GRP. Our current van has GRP sides , front and rear panels, and roof. As I said this is only my opinion and others are free to differ, eventually it is going to be your choice, do you hope nothing goes wrong, in which case it won't really matter, or are you more cautious. There are thousands of vans out there with various materials used in their construction, and thousands of owners, some happy some less so, if you like the Eldiss/Compass caravan you have seen, then do your homework on it, and you will know whether it is right for you, I suspect that is in most things you will need to consider the compromises you have to put up with, we have never found our perfect caravan and we are on our ninth. There is always something that has to be traded off, either the upholstery, or the heating system, layout etc Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have aluminium sides on our Elddis. It dents easier than GRP as proven by a stone ding we have on the side. The GRP sides had a tendency to crack due to distortion. Taking the pros and cons I would guess they would be similar results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts