Grrrrr wrong fuel

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had to pay £300 to have petrol drained from my tdci. The reason it was that cost was because I drove it three miles and the tank was full to the brim with petrol.

I can't believe my husband put petrol in instead of diesel.

Lisa

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Just out of curiosity what happened? I have read that while diesel in a petrol car will just cause a mess that petrol in a diesel can actually wreck the engine. Also have read that the Ford TDci engine is particularly prone to fuel related damage as the injector system is very sensitive.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Colin yes old fashioned Diesel lorrys and buses etc use to use a small amount of petrol for the reasons you mention, but the oil companies change the recipe of diesel sold in the winter to avoid the problems that used to be common.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Think yourself lucky,im not kidding you a friend put some petrol in her Disso 3 never drove it,got towed to a Land Rover Dealer and got charged wait for it

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
The trouble is that damage may already be done, Diesel fuel is its own lubricant and lubricates the injector pump as it flows through,petrol has the opposite effect and will clean all the lubricant off, damage may be done but not manifest itself straight away but can seriously shorten the life of some components.

sorry if this alarms you and hope you will be lucky.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I once filled my petrol espace with diesel (we had a diesel Diahatsu as well at the time), fortunately I realised. I didn't start the engine.But I had a tank 95% full of diesel.

Had to get the wife out in the Diahatsu to tow me home. Took the fuel pipe off and had to spend the next 3 hour draining the anti syphon protected fuel tank by turning on the ignition until the fuel pump stopped turn off the ignition, turn on the ignition etc etc etc etc.

Valuable lesson learned. If you don't want RSI in your wrist DO NOT PUT DIESEL IN!

Fortunately as I hadn't started the car, I got away scott free if not rather annoyed with myself.

On the up side, the diesel was used in the Diahatsu the next day.

Steve L.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hubby says he can't put the wrong fuel in anymore because of the hole. The petrol nozzle won't fit his diesel filler!!!

Does this not apply to all cars???

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
The industry could resolve this problem at a stroke - a triangular shaped pump nozzle and filler opening for one fuel and a standard round nozzle and filler for the other. Whichever shaped filler opening the car has, the other nozzle won't go in. Suitable adaptors for existing cars should not be beyond the wit of industry designers. Simple!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Diesel and unleaded are already different coloured hoses(unleaded green was the only uniform colour agreed by the oil companies)and different sized nozzles already.

This was originally designed so you couldnt fit a Four star nozzle in an unleaded car.

There is a product on the market that you fit in the diesel fill tubes and stops you being able to put an unleaded nozzle in.

They were on Dragons Den

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
About 6 years ago we changed our Hymer m/h for a another Hymer and soon as i got it home i started to fill up the water tank when suddenly i realised it was the diesil filler i was using. Now as you know you must not turn over the engine at all. So called RAC who had a massive breakdown truck come to haul us to our Mercedes dealerWhat a trip that was. They had to strip all pipes and filters plus tank to be cleaned out, cost

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Just had a call from my OH who is travelling back to Essex from seeing his mum in Devon. He got up bright eyed and bushy tailed for the journey only to put petrol in his diesel car. He's already been told he's got to pay "holiday rates" to get it done but I'm glad he didn't do it on Good Friday or Easter Sunday, he'd never have got home.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
As a matter of interest.

You do not need to be a AA member to use this service.

But you may be charged a little extra.

Refer to Honest john for the thread, about 1 month ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts