Hairline Cracks in Washbasin

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi all. On our last outing when cleaning the van we noticed some tiny hairline cracks in our washroom basin. They seem to be around the wall fixing points maybe caused by strain from the screws. Anyone else had any problems similar? The van in question is a Bailey Ranger series 5. As it's less than 3 year old I think I will also be speaking to Bailey. Thanks, Dan

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
HI DAN AND PAULA

We have a Bailey Ranger series 5 and the instructions for cleaning the washbasin and toilet specify you must not use ordinary household cleaners on them as this can lead to cracks in the material. I wonder if this is what has resulted in your cracks?

We use the Thetford spray which is manufactured for the purpose of cleaning their products and have had no trouble ourselves.

If it is not this I suggest you take the matter up with your dealer who will probably want to examine the basin.

Good luck

Catherine

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Catherine. As they are around the fixing points they are definatley stress fractures so couldn't be caused by cleaning products. I would like to see which cleaning products would crack the basin anyway by simply wiping around. I will contact Bailey. Thanks for your help anyway, Dan

May 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We also have a crack in our basin just where the fixing is.

Ours is caused by the tap being too heavy for the sink!

The tap/shower head has never been removed from it's sink fixing so not abused in anyway.

Our caravan is only 5 months old!

We are in the middle of getting it fixed.

The new sink is on order.

Caravan is a Swift Charisma 565 { 2009}

Let me knw if I can be of any further advice/ asstance.

Susan

May 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The tap/shower head has never been removed from it's sink fixing so not abused in anyway.

Susan
Apologies for the spelling mistakes.

I hate it when things are not spelt correctly!

It should be any way and know, assistance!

Makes me feel better.

Susan

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would not dismiss micro cracking induced by cleaners and particularly where the plastic is under stress.

My Hymer's manual states:

"After taking a shower, rinse soap residues from the shower tray, otherwise cracks can appear in the shower tray over time"

I know its in this case a shower but having previously seen vans with these cracks in plastic components we heed such warnings.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies. The cracks are very slight and cannot be seen unless looking really close. However they weren't there when new so I don't want them now. Thanks again, Dan.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Susan
Thanks Susan.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Susan
Thanks Susan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts