Halcyon Days & Childhood

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it me, or were the summers back in the late 50's and through the 60's warm and sunny? I am sure that when we broke up from school for the summer hols we used to play outside almost everyday, I don't remember grey skies and rain, or did it rain? Was the weather miserable and dull? Were we protected by our youth that we just didn't notice? Kids now seem to be indoors on their computers etc, we played outside, rode our bikes and made "camps" - I just don't remember any rain?!!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I recall some very wet tenting holidays as a kid back in the 50s and 60s but the rain never bothered us much in those days.

We went during the last week in July and the first week in August every year and spent most of our time outside playing come rain or shine. At one campsite in Caister near Great Yarmouth part of the track used by cars was a quagmire and us kids would don wellies and help to push cars through the mud bath - oh what fun!

Of course back in those days expectations were lower, nothing was perfect but we just got on with things and we didn't have silly 'weather warnings' screeched at us daily in an attempt to convince us that we have to pay higher taxes to combat climate change.

These idiots at the met office can't predict the weather for next week with accuracy but they are trying to convince us that they can predict the weather for 50 years ahead.

G

Agreed. The summer of '56 was a scorcher and we went to Cornwall staying just outside Looe. Who remembers the Great Tree Holiday Camp and the chippie in the Nissan hut? We enjoyed it so much we went back in '57 and yes, it rained. In the early 60's a number of holidays were spent in Scotland but in 2 out of 3 we came home early because of rain. In 63 we went for the first ever venture abroad with the caravan to Italy and I discovered for the first time that beaches could really be hot and the water warm. As an adult with kids of my own we rarely holidayed in the Uk as my memories were bad. I would rather pay the costs of going to the Med and being 95% sure of the weather. I also do not believe the cost differential is as high as many believe as the costs in the UK have risen dramtically. I suspect the 'Staycationers' this year will find that out the hard way, especially if the gloomy predictions are true.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I don't remember getting wet during my school days, but of course I had my Burberry. I can't remember wet socks either, though I do remember the black bits between my toes.

Nowadays, when walking the dog, my anorak is saturated after the second raindrop.

But just to balance things, I remember chill-blaines and chapped thighs. And ice forming on my blakets, but that was in the RAF.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the human brain generally only remembers the good bits and tries to shut out the not so good. Like 602 I also remember the black bits between the toes, liberty bodices with rubber buttons, cod liver oil and malt, Haliborange tablets. I also remember having the dressing gown over the bed during the winter nights and ice inside the bedroom windows. However the summer holidays were great - up the mountain playing all day - converted a shed behind our garden to a club house and sleeping there at nights, windberry picking - making either jam or tomato sauce sandwiches and a bottle of water and taking a square metal biscuit tin up the mountain and returning home when it was full of windberries - THE GOOD OLD DAYS. Just been given a book called "THE 50s & 60s - The Best of Times" - excellent read bringing back many memories.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts