Half Service!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Following a comment Raywood made in another thread, I didnt want to hijack that one so started a new post.
The caravan is booked in for a service in July, not sure it needs the full thing,
but it is better to err on the safe side and I need to know there is no damp.

Is it possible to get a part service or will the engineers frown they will loose money?
My van hasnt moved since September last when it had the full service, surely I dont need the brakes etc done at this stage?
Whats your thoughts folks?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With an Approved Workshop engineer you have the choice of the following:

1. Full Service., as its name implies it covers everything.

2. Running Gear Service, as it implies this just does the chassis, brakes and wheels/Tyres and towing electrics.

3. Habitation Service, which covers the main living area including all gas and electrics and a damp check.

Engineers will not frown on your choice, they are very flexible and will do what the customer wants.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had thought the same, I had my van serviced 13th April, and it hasn't moved since, I hopefully will get out in October, so my towing mileage for the year will be less than 1500 miles, for the remaining 6 months until next April. so I think I will ask my service engineer his opinion, as when i done my largest tow in a year of about 6000 miles the brakes needed an adjustment but not much. When i saw the brake shoes in April they were about 1/3 worn, and the drums looked ok . So I will see the cost difference.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
With an Approved Workshop engineer you have the choice of the following:

1. Full Service., as its name implies it covers everything.

2. Running Gear Service, as it implies this just does the chassis, brakes and wheels/Tyres and towing electrics.

3. Habitation Service, which covers the main living area including all gas and electrics and a damp check.

Engineers will not frown on your choice, they are very flexible and will do what the customer wants.
Thanks Damien,
looks like the habitation service could be the way to go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Often how much an caravan has been used previously is not the only criteria that decides if a caravan would benefit from a service.

It should be remembered that a "service" doesn't always mean all consumable parts have to be replaced, it can mean cleaning and checking for correct operation and only replacing parts where the wear suggests its necessary.

There are several parts that simply age, for example flexible gas pipes, joint sealant or tyres. The fact a caravan has not been used for several weeks it can allow insects to (particularly spiders) to get into places where they can upset the normal operation of the system or appliance.

However if its a service to maintain the manufacturers warranty then there is a schedule of work which should be followed

Talk to your service provider to work out what might be best for you.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Following a comment Raywood made in another thread, I didnt want to hijack that one so started a new post.
The caravan is booked in for a service in July, not sure it needs the full thing,
but it is better to err on the safe side and I need to know there is no damp.

Is it possible to get a part service or will the engineers frown they will loose money?
My van hasnt moved since September last when it had the full service, surely I dont need the brakes etc done at this stage?
Whats your thoughts folks?
Have you had your handbrake on your caravan while been in storage since september if you have they might be seized on . so i would have them checked out

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have you had your handbrake on your caravan while been in storage since september if you have they might be seized on . so i would have them checked out
It's fine Beachball, van is on the drive (begging me to take him out!!)
The handbrake is not on and I have also moved it a couple of times as well so no probs there.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan has been used for several weeks and done possibly 3,000 miles since the last service so I think ours needs it. If it has not been used since the last service though I am not sure I would want more than a damp check. Given the caravan here is a Fleetwood there should be no warranty problems.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Not sure why you'd bother ;if you gave it a full service in Sept, the next full service is Sept-I won't be having 'extras' because it hasn't moved. Or am I missing something here?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure why you'd bother ;if you gave it a full service in Sept, the next full service is Sept-I won't be having 'extras' because it hasn't moved. Or am I missing something here?
As I pointed out above, some systems in a caravan deteriorate due to age as much as usage, and especially gas systems brakes, road lighting connections etc can be compromised by aging and exposure to the environment (eg insects, dust and rust etc).

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It's fine Beachball, van is on the drive (begging me to take him out!!)
The handbrake is not on and I have also moved it a couple of times as well so no probs there.
Hi Still a little execise would not go amiss before his small service .
i even hitch my own caravan and went around the storage site it felt great
Take Care Keep Safe

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan has been used for several weeks and done possibly 3,000 miles since the last service so I think ours needs it. If it has not been used since the last service though I am not sure I would want more than a damp check. Given the caravan here is a Fleetwood there should be no warranty problems.
Hi Raywood, you are correct there is no warranty issue here, built in 2009 and first buyer in 2010 we bought it 2012.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Had mine serviced last October. What with medical appointments and bad weather in Jan/Feb this year only managed to do just under 200 miles so far. As lock down eases might get a few miles in, nothing planned yet.
Wont have a full service. Think I'll get the fridge and heating serviced with a damp check.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Might bring ours home, this week for a shake down, it will give the tyres a run, And then fire up all sytems on gas, 220/230 , and caravan power alone. A good wash and a wax. New Bed topper to be fitted,( Well it was new 6 months ago. ) and a check on a creacky floor that appeared on last service in April. . Might have a beer and a wine on the drive way. Maybe even a BBQ with the new mini one we bought.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You say the Habitation include the the gas and electrics. Would asking for the heater/fire and fridge to be serviced be included or would that be an extra cost , or part of the Hab service??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m experimenting. I have this Grime to Shine waterless wash and polish stuff.Tried it on the black car. Very impressed.
Will try it on the Wyoming soon at storage. Will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts