Handbrake advice

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post, I couldn't see one specifically for brakes. First let me introduce myself. I'm Craig and I'm based in Surrey. For a couple of years we've owned an old 2 beth Polish Freedom Jetstream caravan. It was/is our toe-dipping caravan experience to see if we liked caravaning. On the whole we do, but I think we're ready for something bigger.

Anyway, in the winter we keep said van stored on my relatives farm. This last weekend we went to pick it up and all seemed fine, as in the handbrake (in particular) was working. However when we got home the handbrake wasn't working, in that it hadn't got any tension on it whatsoever and could be lifted up as far as it would go. As the short video below will illustrate, there was also significant movement on the dampening cylinder (if that's what it's called). Incidentally the handbrake was definitely off for the whole of the journey.

vimeo.com/284677875/0e349563ad

This morning when I went to check the handbrake to my surprise it was working again and the play on said cylinder was gone. The only difference between last night and this morning, other than several hours of standing, was the van was up on its steadies overnight.

We'd like to take the van away this weekend, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this handbrake issue first. So any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Craig

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I haven’t seen your mechanism before. It looks like the damper cylinder has seized and over night freed itself? Not much help but maybe a good soaking with a penetrating fluid eg plus gas may help?
Please let us know the result.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Little tip for when you do get it actually working and going again is when you do eventually put it back in storage make sure you put your steadies down and leave the handbrake off so it doesn't lock or stick on. Chock the wheels , it won't go anywhere .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The "damping cylinder" you refer to is the spring store and only comes into play when the handbrake is on.
If the van moves with the handbrake on, the spring store releases its energy and applies the handbrake more.
Under normal conditions the handbrake lever should be at about the 45 degree angle.
When the spring store comes into play it will cause the handle to move almost upright .
When the handbrake is off, the spring store is meant to be loose, as yours is.

Big question is when did you have the van serviced last?

Secondly, your quote " the van was up on its steadies overnight."
I really hope you did not mean the steadies were taking all the weight of the van.
They are as the name suggests "Steadies" not jacks.

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Last serviced 2 years ago when we first got it. Due to moving house/location, it hardly had any use in the last year and logistically there was never a good time to get it serviced.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig_Banham said:
Last serviced 2 years ago when we first got it. Due to moving house/location, it hardly had any use in the last year and logistically there was never a good time to get it serviced.

You have your answer then.
Get it serviced.
Caravans do not like sitting around doing nothing, all kinds of odd things start to happen.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Craig, I am not a caravan, or brake expert - this is only my practical experience.

when you were moving your van into its "spot" once you got home, did you move it backwards at all ?
I have a 1993 swift, and the braking system on it is such that, if you push it backwards (effectively in reverse) the brake shoes disengage completely from the drum to allow unrestricted movement. However, they do not RE ENGAGE until you move the van forward slightly. If you then apply the handbrake without the van being rolled forward slightly (moving the shoes back into the drum) it has nothing to apply on, and the handle goes all the way up.

Just a thought ?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I have a Swift of a similar vintage as that of the OP and the reversing brake release mechanism can certainly affect how far you can apply the handbrake lever.
I would check the brake cable adjustment is correct and for good measure also that of the brake shoes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts