Handbrake - Does this work in both directions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry if this question sounds basic, we are new to this and I have been told that the handbrake works in only one direction (ie stops it rolling forward)unlike a car whand would which works in both directions, is this true..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes. Always take great care when manually pushing the caravan backwards and never do it on a downward slope. Best advice is to learn to reverse with the caravan hitched up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul and Ruth

Having nearly lost my first van on the day I first got it home as it rolled back down the drive!!! All because I was not told by the dealer that you need to pull the hand brake up vertically as far as it will go, so that it comes on when you unhitch on a slope.

Always the van will roll back up to about 10" as a special mechanism inside the brake drum takes up to apply the shoes to the drum. This does not function when you reverse with the brake off.

Depending on the age/make of the van there are different operating systems for the hand brake - I've experienced 3 so far, but the principle is as I've said above. Good luck

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That's right, Tony. Whenever I've had to apply the handbrake while reversing it stands so vertical that I can't open the front locker any more. I have to secure the caravan using chocks and release the handbrake again in order to be able to get at the electric cables and turn the gas on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry but these answers still leave me confused, does the handbrake activate after about 10" when the 'van is rolling backwards or not at all?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reverse break mechanism will have activated if you reversed onto the pitch. If you then put the handbrake on it has a very long travel to get the shoes against the drum. If you can pull the van forward 12 inches or so after reversing, which will free the reverse break mechanism and the handbrake will act normally.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry but these answers still leave me confused, does the handbrake activate after about 10" when the 'van is rolling backwards or not at all?
Yes it does if you have pulled it up to the vertical position.

If you are nervous, do what I did to regain confidence, that was to place a brick or suitable chock about 12" behind the wheels with the van on a slight slope pull up the brake then unhitch. Or with the van on a level tarmac surface so that you can easily push it, pull the brake on and then push the van backwards you will see how far it travels before the brakes come on.

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts