Handbrake on or off in storage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We will only use the van maybe every 3 weeks during season. Is it OK to leave the handbrake on during this time period (I understand that for winter storage is is advisable to keep the handbrake off)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Providing your wheels are firmly chocked and corners steadies down I would always leave mine off. Much better as no strain on the system and no chance of it getting stuck on. For heavens sake though remember to put it back on firmly before you attempt to lift the corner steadies or remove the wheel chocks!!.

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Providing your wheels are firmly chocked and corners steadies down I would always leave mine off. Much better as no strain on the system and no chance of it getting stuck on. For heavens sake though remember to put it back on firmly before you attempt to lift the corner steadies or remove the wheel chocks!!.

Graham
I left one of our cars (with rear drums) with the handbrake on for three weeks. When I moved it, the linings were stuck to the drums and one lining tore away from the shoe. Ever since, I leave the handbrake off (but with the legs down)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you have your answer, but in confirmation. You should release the handbrake as the brakes could sieze on as already suggested. Also, the brake cable will stretch meaning you would have to re-adjust or have the brakes coming on too late or not enough when towing.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts