Handbrake on site ?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
As the van is normally stored on my drive I always release the handbrake so as to prevent the brakes from sticking. When on a pitch for a weekend/week I normally leave it on for the short period
How ever what do you do on a seasonal pitch, the van will be there for at least 7 months before it is moved.
The pitch is fairly level at the top of a slope.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Kev
Don't leave the handbrake on as the shoes could rust & stick themselves to the brake drum and it won't be easy to release them if that happens.

Anyway invest in some wheel chocks for the front and rear of the wheels, with the steadies & the jockey wheel down it won't move..... ;)

Or some of these under the tyres ;)
s-l1000.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev
Fully agree with his Woosienesss. Leave the handbrake off and chock as suggested.
I use the Alko wheel locks which act as a brake and stop the wheels turning thus saving the handbrake.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Put the "BullDog Max" on Kev, -- it won't go anywhere then!

Many thanks Sir Gab, Bulldog Max will go on as matter of course.

Van washed today ready for our first night of the year on the 9th Jan, :woohoo:
We've just become winter caravanners :) B)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gagakev , jelous off you , will be after January when we get out ! As for Handbrake I hardly put ours on unless on a steep slope , other wise wheel clamped , and chocked and going nowhere , even in storage , hand brake off & wheels chocked and clamped but level to . Happy new year . :S :S :S

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just reminded me what ours looks like last time I put it back in storage , full off mud up the front from the Yorkshire country lanes !!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We were due in York next week, but still a little "damp" there - cancelled the booking and transferred it to the sea side instead! (Bridlington) (Getting withdrawal symptons, been at home a month)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
We were due in York next week, but still a little "damp" there - cancelled the booking and transferred it to the sea side instead! (Bridlington) (Getting withdrawal symptons, been at home a month)

We're only in Beverley, feel free to look us up if you pop over this way!

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Gagakev,
Our caravan handbrake is released only when the van is moving,all other times the handbrake is on - during winter layoff and on site.(if attached to car handbrake is off)
Never had a problem,brake always releases cleanly and immediately and this in an area where we get more snow, ice and bad weather than england.
Don't understand why others have problems and I don't.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Gagakev , jelous off you , will be after January when we get out ! As for Handbrake I hardly put ours on unless on a steep slope , other wise wheel clamped , and chocked and going nowhere , even in storage , hand brake off & wheels chocked and clamped but level to . Happy new year . :S :S :S

Dont be too jealous Craig, it's initially for one night only to drop the van off and test the Ale in the bar :)
Off course the options will be there now for a lot more use :woohoo:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Gagakev,
Our caravan handbrake is released only when the van is moving,all other times the handbrake is on - during winter layoff and on site.(if attached to car handbrake is off)
Never had a problem,brake always releases cleanly and immediately and this in an area where we get more snow, ice and bad weather than england.
Don't understand why others have problems and I don't.

Hi Bertie, think really it is more of a precaution than anything, just dont want to be stuck on site when we collect for our longer trips away in Aug + Sept.

TRENDING THREADS