Hands up who uses their caravan bathroom?!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
always use the washroom,shower is as good as any and theres plenty room.its also more convenient and cleaner than a lot of large sites?????

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Sarah,

This is a very good point you raise. I have been caravanning for about 17 yrs and I wouldn't change a moment of it but I have had one constant throughout that time and its this. Why have space in the van you don't use? Now, to avoid the avalanche of comments and critism that I will attract, let me say straight away that this is my opinion and I am not critising anyone who does it differently. We own an Avondale 650/6. The rear dinnette area has been converted to a bedroom. It has a separate shower and a sepate toilet and washbasin which is perfectly adequate for the purpose and in which you could not swing the proverbial cat around in but thats fine with me because the van reflects the amount of time spent in each area. 8 hrs sleep, 15 hrs in lounge or awning (on a rainy day) and lets say 1 hr for various ablutions through the day. Can't see the point of a huge washroom! very nice to have and to see but thats about it! I prefer sleeping and living space. AND, yes, there is always the facilities on site anyway if you would prefer. Good point!
I suppose then you wouldn't use a CL or CS, or even a site with basic facilites?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I always have a problem with this one like many have said why pay for the ablution area and not use it,friends of mine always say 'where are you going have you got toilet and showers' I say yes in the van they say no good then,why what is the problem you empty the loo every few days its no big deal and to shower in the van is far better than most of the hundreds of sites that I have stayed on.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
I suppose then you wouldn't use a CL or CS, or even a site with basic facilites?
Hi Wendy,

I would definately use basic sites, in fact, we have done just that many times. All you need is a 12v battery to drive your taps and shower & 12v lights & gas to cook and run your fridge I can do without the television and the radio. Some of these basic sites are great for peace and quiet.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Its funny how after caravanning for a while you sometimes realise that what you thought was going to be important, isn't.

When Sue and I bought our previous van (in 2002) we had a very usable shower high on the priority list; and bought a van with a large end bathroom and one of the "beam me up Scotty" showers. The first year we had the van we went out of our way to use it, and honed the technique of having hot water for two consecutive showers (put both gas and electric water heating on for 10 minutes before the first shower and leave them on until the end of showering).

But when we came to change the van this year and drew up the priority list we realised that actually we had only used the shower 4 times in the last two years - about 100 nights away. So now we have a pretty small shower (which I am sure will do the job on the rare occasions we need it) and a fixed bed instead.

Wonder what we'll change next time?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we have a new avondale dart 556/6 godiva special.it has a small side bathroom.we use the loo for no 1's and anything more than that we use the site toilets.we have never used the shower in the bathroom the site showers are always top class and warm so why not use them we have paid for them.

May 19, 2006
Visit site
Washing and showering not high on my list when caravaning. Getting out and about more important.I laugh at all the sometimes half-dressed souls,lining up, waiting at the on-site facilities. clutching their toilet bags in the morning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shower in my van came with the package,nice and handy if I want use it, but I dont, so I use the shower blocks instead. Vanning brings back memories of my childhood and everything I enjoyed about it and it is no different today. As for queing for a shower, well that just doesnt happen because when I go away with the van my lifestyle changes and by that I mean no time-table for my days of leisure, the alarm clock stays at home where it should be. I shower at times when there is no queue,its not really hard to work out is it, and like Scotch-Lad I wear flip-flops to the shower, so simple and hygienic !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our shower is used 3 times a day when we are away - one for me each evening and one for my wife at the beginning and end of the day (no jokes about 'I wish my wife was that dirty'!).

Toilet is used for all numbers. Best loo tip I was given is to line the toilet bowl with loo paper before number 2s, then when you flush, there's no err, stains or evidence.

Seems simple to me - we fill our aquaroll twice a day and empty the loo every other day.

In return, we are able to stay at all CC sites plus a wide range of CLs - our only "must" is to have electric hook-up.

Still, each to his own.

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
Since we got our caravan last year we have been away most weekends. We have tried the larger commercial sites (once) and said never again leaving on the second day. We now head for CL's and smaller sites run by the Caravan Club and therefore use our shower and toilet for all what it was intended.

Quite often we dont even bother with electric and run off battery and gas. It is so much nicer to be in a quiet location with no more than 5 vans (quite often we are the only ones there) and simply relaxing.

This bank holiday we are going with friends to a farm CL in Norfolk that has a pool, sauna, jacuzzi and fitness room available. Cost ? less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When buying our van last year we thought that a large-ish bathroom and useable shower would be important and so gave these priority when buying. We've now, through experience, found that this isn't the case. We have used our shower a few times, but find it much quicker and easier for both of us to use the site showers. We tend to use CC sites & haven't had any problems with unhygenic facilities - I do recommend flip flops though!

As we only have a small porch awning the shower pod in the van does make a handy space to hang wet coats etc.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
In our previous caravans I would never dream of using the shower when it entailed pumping large amounts of water over the walls not least because we all spend our life worrying about water ingress to splash it around seemed not the clever thing to do.

Now with our present van with the beam me up scotty shower cubicle differnt ball game use it regular,and they dont use masses of water unless you switch the tap on and leave it running rather than,wet down ,switch off,soap up,swill off.

Having said all that we do use site showers sometimest year in France they close by and immaculate but still more difficult trying to get dry and dressed in a small space which sometimes means when you come out you are that sweaty you need another shower.

We tend to use the CC site shower / loo facilities which we've found to be superb, but I have to confess that our shower in the van did get used last winter by.....Bridget the fat whippet who had seen fit to roll in something a goose had left behind at Ferry Meadows! Now we have witnessed dogs being washed down at the waste water pipe, but Fouldsy said it was too cold, so she made full use of a nice warm shower complete with some of our shower gel in the absence of her normal shampoo.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Thats funny ! fouldsy's wife!...never thought about washing our German shepherd in the shower, mind you probably not as slender as bridget the whippet - even though you say she is fat!

We are off to a site next week that even provides a "dog shower" in the dog exercise area, and doggy poo bags.

Thats funny ! fouldsy's wife!...never thought about washing our German shepherd in the shower, mind you probably not as slender as bridget the whippet - even though you say she is fat!

We are off to a site next week that even provides a "dog shower" in the dog exercise area, and doggy poo bags.
Sarah

Don't let the whippet know, she's demanding enough!

The worst dog shower experience we saw was also at Ferry Meadows (it's a goose thing) when somebody shampooed their labrador with neat dettol at the waste water point - we could smell it from our van, heaven knows what it smelt like in theirs!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I can't understand why people spend thousands on a caravan with a bathroom and then use site facilities. What a waste!

Maybe it is time some enterprising site owner converted all the pitches to super pitches and did away with the toilet block etc. As there will be less maintenace, perhaps the prices would drop. The only thing required is an Elsan point and who wants chat at an Elsan point? I enjoy my privacy as I am a miserable old git!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Sarah

Don't let the whippet know, she's demanding enough!

The worst dog shower experience we saw was also at Ferry Meadows (it's a goose thing) when somebody shampooed their labrador with neat dettol at the waste water point - we could smell it from our van, heaven knows what it smelt like in theirs!
blimey...i also pity the dog being shampooed in that..it must have reeked!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I also agree about the oven...my oven is so good in our caravan, im not used to it and ive burnt most stuff as we have only used our new van twice.

I plan to cook xmas dinner in it this year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sarah, we've been vanning since 1986, when our kids were 1,2, & 3 and have always used the onboard facilities. Now we're empty nesters we have a wonderful two berth van complete with end washroom, proper shower & loo. We invariably use CL's, but even when using CC sites with facilities we nearly always use our own, as they're clean and warm, and your nice dry clothes are to hand. Still, as other have said - you pays your money and takes your choice..........

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
I can't understand why people spend thousands on a caravan with a bathroom and then use site facilities. What a waste!

Maybe it is time some enterprising site owner converted all the pitches to super pitches and did away with the toilet block etc. As there will be less maintenace, perhaps the prices would drop. The only thing required is an Elsan point and who wants chat at an Elsan point? I enjoy my privacy as I am a miserable old git!
Hi Ian

Maybe that's the point the original poster was trying to say - why pay for things you may not use because at the moment there is no choice buy a caravan and get a shower

KEN

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Maybe that's the point the original poster was trying to say - why pay for things you may not use because at the moment there is no choice buy a caravan and get a shower

KEN
sorry substitute "some people" for original poster" in previous post

WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO EDIT POSTS??? ...Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Ian, its quite simple actually, its called freedom of choice, and as you dont rely on site facilities I think you should be quite happy on a cl, but then, you can go where you choose, just like me I choose a site WITH a shower block.

PS, any info on new van without toilet ?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Today I walked around our local caravan dealers, all the vans I saw had toilets/showers. Not one did not have one or the other fitted. So either the Makers have got the marketing wrong or the vast majority of people are buying the wrong van.

Val & Frank

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a British illogical thing.

Caravanners in the rest of Europe quite happily buy caravans with no washroom IF they use sites with facilities or just use the caravan washroom if they've already paid for it!

It's like British caravanners who haul 20kg of 110Ah battery around but always choose sites with mains hook-ups.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts