Hankook Tyres

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm the owner of a Coachman Amara 2003 fitted with the above tyres a couple of weeks age I headed off to my local CL. Once every thing was connected and set I went to put on my wheel clamp on which I could not do it suddenly did not fit. on closer inspection it appeared that my radial tyres had turned into what i could only discribe as the sane shape as a crossply (only about 2 inches of tread touching the ground). I have taken my caravan to my dealer where they have been promply changed. They have told me they have had three other instances of this. Please check your tyres regulary especally if there HANKOOKS. Could some what explain why this may have occurred??. I religously check my tyre pressures everytime I go away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My 2002 Sterling also came with Hankook tyres fitted from the factory. I have never heard of them before, but I will be keeping a close eye on them......

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have had a simlar problem with tyres on our twin axle van. The problem with mine was delamination of the tread from the rienforcing layer. I found ours after a 500 mile return journey fron Edinburgh. The tyre was literally redy to pop. Other than checking your tyres for abnormal wear and shape prior to every journey I doubt there is much else we can do. The cost of top brand tyres could be prohibative to most folks given that the tyres usually perrish before they wear out. All tyres are made to the same EU standard ans so one should expect to get a simlar standard of build quality. The difference you would get is in the grip characteristics. Some are better in the wet or in the dry etc. Unless your'e into rcing caravans that requirement is perhaps not a major consideration. On my car for instance, I run the mid price bracket tyres which are usually the ones that were top brand a couple of years ago. I do this mainly down to cost, as I can't justify

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
These tyres were fitted as replacements to my Elddis Typhoon. They came recommended and were fitted by a NCC Approved Workshop in Hertfordshire.

I had them fitted prior to selling the 'van so never did any substantial mileage on them. They were 8 plies as against the 6 plies they were replacing and cost me about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My van is an Elddis 2002 model. It has just been in for it's third annual service and has had the tyres changed. The profile of the tyre has bulged in the centre of the tread. They were also Hankook tyres. It all sounds very familiar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had BF Goodrich tyres on my Range Rover and travelled over 70,000 miles on a set of four. Amazing wear. However, three of the four suddenly went out of balance and clearly showed bulging in the tread.

Delamination is the problem apparently and whilst disapointing as there is still c. 3 to 4 mm tread left, tyres that do this are VERY dangerous.

My BFG's do not owe me anything after 70K miles but on a new caravan tyre!

Can I suggest that this is a Safety issue that PC should cover.

Moderator please note you may have a duty of care to forward this potential safety problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
These were fitted as standard to my 2001 Avondale. Last year, immediately on exiting 5km tunnel in Switzerland we stopped for a break. Looking at van I noticed one tyre was rapidly loosing air. The steel bracing had pierced the wall and on inspection a tyre dealer reported that the other was about to do the same. Tyres had been checked regularly from new. Since fitted Continentals, no problems to date. But what a near miss, a puncture on the offside in a tunnel!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I had to go check my van after reading of the problems on these tyres, I was surprised to see that the tyres had bulged on the tread area all the way round,fair play to the dealer he changed not 1 or 2 but all three tyres.

Ron

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve, Your point is well stated, however whilst there are "standards" which manufactures meet, standards by definition only establish the minimum performance of a given characteristic. The differences betwen manufactures products will all be inexcess of the minimum required standards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve, Your point is well stated, however whilst there are "standards" which manufactures meet, standards by definition only establish the minimum performance of a given characteristic. The differences betwen manufactures products will all be inexcess of the minimum required standards.
Hankook tyres are by classification within the tyre trade, a budget / economy tyre. While this is no excuse for poor workmanship, the old adage of "get what you pay for" applies. Most tyre tread distortion, occurs due to the following.

1 Over/under inflation (moreso under inflation).

2 Impact.

3 Over exposure to U.V.

4 Age.

5 Manufacturing defect.

As for the age of the van, I would suspect the latter. All tyres carry a lifetime warranty against Manufacturing defects. This would necessitate you returning the wheels, to a Hankook dealer, purchasing a new pair of tyres, (not necessarily Hankook)& the tyre claim would be processed and the tyres in question would be returned for inspection to Hankook. Should the claim be successful, a credit would be issued to you via the dealer, dependent on the remaining useable tread depth,ie 8mm = 100% allowance, down to 1.6mm 0% allowance.

TRENDING THREADS