Hartal door lock

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Following the earlier discussion on the forum regarding failing Hartal door locks, we contacted our dealer, as ours was getting so stiff to unlock, we thought we were in danger of getting locked out completely.

As it is a known manufacturers defect, we thought it would be covered under warranty on our new 2008 caravan, but our dealer told us it is a chargeable item, which may later be refunded by the caravan manufacturer.

We decided to take the bull by the horns and following the instructions given on the forum, managed to free up the lock after 20 minutes on the workbench. Thankfully it's now working fine.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we contacted the manufacturers who posted us a complete new lock in a couple of days,worth looking thro the posts I have the number somewhere if you need it,I think it was richard toon at Miriad products.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Meals,

I don't who your dealer is or what make of caravan you have but you have been told a load of rubbish.

Hartal know there was a problem with a batch from last year and early this year where the locks were incorrectly machined. Somewhere on this forum Swift have said no problem getting free replacements and Bailey have done the same for me. In fact my dealer did it without any issue.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
That is awful. Can you let me know who your dealer is please. My email address is kpowell@swiftleisure.co.uk - I know this will not help you on this occasion but if we take it up with your dealer it may help you in the future.

Regards

Kath

p.s I posted this last night but made a mistake and did it as a new post - doh!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well done Kath,

On the ball as usual.

Meals maybe it's time to name and shame the dealer, no real names or Parksy Mod will "not be amused". So was it Wide Roads or what?

Also I think even though you have fixed it yourself a new one may actually last you longer and see you through outside of the warranty period.

Cheers

Alan

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well done Kath,

On the ball as usual.

Meals maybe it's time to name and shame the dealer, no real names or Parksy Mod will "not be amused". So was it Wide Roads or what?

Also I think even though you have fixed it yourself a new one may actually last you longer and see you through outside of the warranty period.

Cheers

Alan
Hi Alan

Surely you know that my input is done more in sorrow than in anger ;0)

I never suffer from sense of humour failure because if I did I'd never do this job without losing the will to live

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan

Surely you know that my input is done more in sorrow than in anger ;0)

I never suffer from sense of humour failure because if I did I'd never do this job without losing the will to live
Hi Parksy

Please don't play any Leonard Cohen, it'll make you more depressed than ever! LOL

Cheers

Alan

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Pauline

Whats the fix for this lock as mine has started to seize up. I'm in same position and in danger of being locked out.

Regards

Ian

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Our 2008 Abbey suffered from the dreaded Hartal Door Lock problem but it was very quickly and efficiently rectified by Miriad Products.

BUT, the replacement lock now seems to be also stiffening up so perhaps the "batch" problem that Hartal claimed is actually bigger than they admitted to. I can see before long I will have to be contacting Miriad again. Isn't it about time a completely different (and well tested) lock was supplied as a replacement. It can't be much fun being locked out of the caravan or not being able to go out because the door can't be locked.

Regards

John M

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l am a little worried as l have the Hartal door lock on a six month old Ace Firestar, it is a little bit stiff but put that down to newness, does the lock fail imediateley or do you feel the lock getting stiffer.

Those that have had the problem what should l look out for.

NigelH

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi NigelH

With my lock it just got stiffer to turn the key from the outside to the point that it felt as though the key would break, (it didn't actually break).

If opening from the inside, although the lever pushed down OK with only slight extra force, the return spring within the lock would not pull the handle back up again so that when you pushed the door closed it wouldn't click shut. I had to make sure I manually centred the handle before I closed the door.

Regards

John M

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
John having some warranty work done in July, according to Discover Leisure their is a modification now for this particular lock which they will do then, only got two outings before then so hopefully will be o/k.

Thanks for the info.

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts