Harwich to Holland

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Would Harwich to Holland be a good introduction to caravanning abroad for the first time?

Any recommendations as to where to base ourselves and further advice would be appreciated.

We tend to use CL's here so small, easy to find sites, preferably with a view, would be great. Our only other needs are EHU & toilet facilities.

We both enjoy birdwatching, we love the coast, maritime history, museums and harbour walks. We are also happy in the countryside and enjoy visiting nature reserves.

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I would try a wonderful site call Koningshof in Rijnsburg in Holland (near Leiden). I have stayed there on a regular basis since visiting in 1995, an also run rallies there. All those who vist say how family friendly the site is, and how welcoming. If you want proof, read the write up in Practical Caravan a few issues ago. They visited at Easter, the same time I also took 17 caravans for a week.

Locally there are beaches, nice local towns, walking and cycling. If you have never been abroad, Koningshof would be a great starter venue as it is only 35 miles from Hook of Holland port.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Holland is a lovely country and 35 miles from port is good, but there is a BUT. There are only two crossings from Harwich to Holland, one at about 9.00 a.m. and the other overnight. We went on the 9.00 and the crossing is about 6 hours. This meant that we arrived in rush hour on VERY busy motorways which we found rather frantic. The other problem is the language. The signs mean nothing, whereas in France, you can usually fathom them out. After this trip to Holland we bought a satnav with 'lane assist, as we thought that at least would have been a help. Although we enjoyed the trip, especially the cycling, I personally would start in France for the first driving experience, as once out of the Port, you can be the sole car on some of the motorways for considerable periods.

G

I am a little curious as to 'ChrissieLizzys' comments regarding the language in Holland. Of all our EU cousins the Dutch are the most prevalent in using English, in fact it is 2nd nature to them. Their road signs are also the same as everybody else using the EU pictogram system. I do accept that the traffic density is quite high especially at rush hours, but probably less stressful than say the M25.

The Konigshof site is indeed very well run and even has an indoor swimming pool, so ideal for kids even out of summer season. Plenty of easy cylce tracks from the site and Amsterdam/Den Haag and Keukenhof are not too far away. The site is situated north west of Den Haag so not too far from the Hook.

The only downside is that Holland is quite an expensive country, but then again so are most countries.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Just to clarify Scotch Lad it was not the spoken language, but the road signage. I agree the people themselves are lovely, speak good English, are very friendly and also, they like the British. We did however, find the roads VERY busy, and this was compounded by all the cycle lanes. There were just masses of white lines everywhere, and we found this especially difficult in rush hours, which seemed to be much of the time. It was just quite difficult to spot where we needed to be, even without the caravan.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Personally I would choose a cheaper crossing, and spend the money saved on campsites, by going Dover to Calais.

There are some lovely sites around the Baie de Somme, only an hour or so from Calais, ideal for birdwatching, and also plenty of towns for history, museums, and walks.

If there are only two of you (which it sounds like from your post) then think about going early season (April/May/June, or later in August/September) and you'll find quiet sites, even amongst those with 'full facilities'. Camping in Europe is so much better than in England - for instance in low season you don't really need to book and can use an ACSI card, Camping Cheques, or similar to tour, or to stay put, and to make a considerable saving on site prices.

G

I may disagree with Crizzie Lizzy to a degree on the friendliness of the Dutch. I lived and worked there for 3 years in the 80's and have visited virtually every year since 1970, but have noticed a significant change over the last few years. Yes, I accept that in the outlying areas the Dutch are still as they always were, very nice, but in the heavily populated West they have become far more rude, intolerant and agressive. Possibly a bit like the Brits, if you think about it. Possibly a result of massive population increase, again a bit like the UK. If you are in France during their holiday season, it is like being invaded. They dominate everywhere they go by shouting, barging and often treat the French like they are 3rd class citizens. Of course they are not all like that, but a significant number have become so much so , that it is noticeable. Something that never happened in the 80's and 90's. Even visiting campsites in Holland you now sometimes get the impression you are doing them a favour by staying and you are talked down to as if you were a child. Even Konigshof had 2 receptionists this year, one was absolutely lovely, the other, well she seemed to have a bad day everyday. Hopefully by next year she will have moved on.

Don't get me wrong I like Holland and like the Dutch, but if they want to act like they own Europe, then I do not want to know.

By the way, their traffic is as crazy as ours, except they allow lane changing at will. Yes, if you are turning at a junction then bikes have right of way, but this is common in other EU countries as well. My wife used to drive into Amsterdam to take the kids to school in the 80's and had to negotiate the RAI roundabout. Those who know Amsterdam will know it can be hectic, or at least was then. 4 main highways into 1 roundabout. She drove a right hand drive Granada and frequently missed, or was forced out of the correct turning or was in the wrong lane. Her answer was to push and give a big wave and then blithely ignored the shaking fists. Her feeling was she gave as good as she got frequently.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we stayed at Delftse Hout in April with a C&CC rally and loved it are going back next year Thought the drivers were quite considerate really in traffic and also walking round Amsterdam at night did not find it intimidating with friendly people.Its not cheap and am looking at overnight ferry or driving from Calais.IIRC Stena lines take Tesco vouchers but a night crossing and day return with cabins costs about

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
again holland is lovely but the roads are narrow and busy. go to france. its a dream to drive over there. try municipal camp sites. just go dover to calais cheap and fast. as soon as you are out of calais its the best driving ever.

we have been at easter and in july august.

another idea if you want holland or are not sure join one of the c&cc rallies . this will be booked for you there will be someone on site if you need help. not bad value. havea look at their brochure on their webb site. http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/carefreebrochures#summer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts