has anybody took there van to the isle of man if yes what site did you use and ferry cheers

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Heysham is shorter and uses ro-ro ferries. Not sure about L'pool if at all these days.

Beware NOT CHEAP to cross although IoM itself is not so bad and they have some decent beers!

Actually Liverpool 2:45 hrs and Heysham 3:45.

They resurected Liverpool years ago. But it might now go from Birkenhead. I think a lot of work was done converting Cammell Lairds.

John

Reactions: thomas_374576025
May 12, 2019
Visit site
I hears that the Isle of Man ferry going to stop taking Caravans and Motorhomes as they are going to concentrate on freight.
(I live 10 miles from Heysham and it was on the local radio.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed,the crossing price is not cheap and is more expensive than the crossings to europe,you can get better beer in Belgium !
When a group of us went over for the TT races back in the days of Hailwood and Agostini after the first days pints everything after that morphed into hazy recollection.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I`d like to visit the I.O.M, but think I`d have to fly as I wouldn`t use the I.O.M Steam Racket Company as a matter of principle.

Some years ago I was quoting for some business involving transport to England. We found we couldn`t compete on rates as we were getting charged massively more than a company on the I.O.M. When I queried it with the ferry company they were really open and honest, telling me that any companies from the mainland are charged a premium to protect the companies on the island.
Looking further into it, they got around the monopolies problem by owning all the ports on the island bar one. This port only accepted side loading ferries, coincidentally the only ferry company with such a ship just happened to be the Steam Packet company..... which explains why the crossings are so expensive.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I`d like to visit the I.O.M, but think I`d have to fly as I wouldn`t use the I.O.M Steam Racket Company as a matter of principle.

Some years ago I was quoting for some business involving transport to England. We found we couldn`t compete on rates as we were getting charged massively more than a company on the I.O.M. When I queried it with the ferry company they were really open and honest, telling me that any companies from the mainland are charged a premium to protect the companies on the island.
Looking further into it, they got around the monopolies problem by owning all the ports on the island bar one. This port only accepted side loading ferries, coincidentally the only ferry company with such a ship just happened to be the Steam Packet company..... which explains why the crossings are so expensive.
It's not unusual for islanders to pay cheaper ferry rates than visitors - applies to businesses and individuals - it's the same for Scottish islands and the Isle of Wight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts