Have you been ripped off.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a different thread a senior member mentioned about carravanners being rippeed off by buying things for your van,
Lets help each other
Let me start with Calor lite, thats been a rip off.
Hutch

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True, but..
Bought a set of Dunlopt Sport 3000 tyres, after about a week, sensed they didnt handle correctly, eventually contaced Dunlop, who phoned me next day and said they were not legal for UK. Made for the Malasian market and would never get up to correct temp for UK. Showed the dealer the email I got from Dunlop and the Dealer replaced them next day. And had to recall all the ones he had sold.
I bought them in good faith from recognised dealer
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hutch,

I concure with steve on your first example, and your second seems to have been more of genuine mistake that non UK tyres got into the UK market. I don't think either concurs with my definition of "ripoff"

"An action or sale that has been carried out fraudulently with the sole intent to extort undue financial gain for purbertrator, by the sale of substandard or incomplete goods or services or overcharging for goods or services "

What is your definition?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
quite right John, a bit like buying a new caravan, then again you dont have to buy a caravan so I suppose that doesn't count either.

on the other hand I bought a can of soup the other day "new and improved" it wasn't new or improved just a smaller can at a higher price. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Hutch,

I concure with steve on your first example, and your second seems to have been more of genuine mistake that non UK tyres got into the UK market. I don't think either concurs with my definition of "ripoff"

"An action or sale that has been carried out fraudulently with the sole intent to extort undue financial gain for purbertrator, by the sale of substandard or incomplete goods or services or overcharging for goods or services "

What is your definition?

I'm convinced that retailers put the word "caravan" in the description of an item so that they can vastly inflate the price.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
It actually doesnt take much unearthing Hutch,quite alot of readers have been ripped of in a big way.Especially the ones who have suffered damp,only to find the dealers going to hide under the nearest stone.Defo a caravan thing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have always bought caravans and parts from recognised dealers and so far have always got what we paid for. The only hiccup we have had was when our drop in pump was stolen and the only dealer in the area had the size bigger. It fitted but kept blowing off the side of the caravan so I had to sellotape it on. We did have to buy the correct size when we got home but it did solve a problem.
Basically we will knowingly buy anything we do not believe is genuine and try to avoid buying from sources we do not know. Anything that is too cheap to be true is avoided but we did fall foul of a kitchen company who produced substandard work but even then we used a credit card to pay to protect ourselves there.
I am afraid you just have to be careful these days and no matter how hard you try you might still get caught out.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Any caravan rip offs are no where near the disability rip offs that are out there. I paid £2700 for my large mobility scooter but it is advertised at up to £5500 in other places and on line. How about over £200 for a porta potty to use instead of a standard commode. This was advertised using the same picture as towsure were using at the time for a sub £90 product. Same disability supplier was selling aqua kem for £30. Even the major supplier of a lot of my products is charging £25.

Now that's what I call rip offs

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Any caravan rip offs are no where near the disability rip offs that are out there. I paid £2700 for my large mobility scooter but it is advertised at up to £5500 in other places and on line. How about over £200 for a porta potty to use instead of a standard commode. This was advertised using the same picture as towsure were using at the time for a sub £90 product. Same disability supplier was selling aqua kem for £30. Even the major supplier of a lot of my products is charging £25.

Now that's what I call rip offs
Tell me about it mate! Quoted similar money for herself's scooter, then checked ebay and bought a twelve month old one for £275!
That probably sounds as though I ripped off the seller, but she had tried to sell it back to her supplier, but he offered her £250! Anything "disabilty" carries a premium.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There seems to be a constant tug of war between buyers of goods and those who sell the goods that we want to buy.
Shoppers are becoming increasingly adept at recognising premium prices and finding similar or identical products for less money, and the internet has played a massive part in this.
Many products aimed at a specific market can be bought for less money with a little research online or even a wander around a supermarket.
Products aimed at motorists (how much for one microfibre 'car polishing cloth' from a motorist accessory store when in the household aisle of a supermarket they are a fraction of the price? ), caravanners (there was a lot of mumbo jumbo surrounding overpriced 'caravan' solar panels and 'digital' tv aerials are just two examples and there are many more) and the elderly or disabled who may be vulnerable always carry a hefty premium.
I always habitually check what is available before paying the price being asked, it's a buyers market at the moment as Christmas high street sales are proving.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The cheekiest I ever came across was when a mate had a 1976 Rolls Royce. He needed brake pipes, so down to the dealer,Quoted £97.00 each! Did some research, found the Lockheed part number and bought a pair for a Minivan for £2.95 each.
I suppose RR thought if you buy their cars you can afford their parts!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SwingLowJim said:
Just paid £105.9 a litre for diesel at Sainsbury Folkestone when the price of oil has fallen to its lowest level for decades. Thats a RIP OFF

WOW that is a rip of rice £105.9 thats 100x the current price in most places where its about £1.059 :eek:hmy:

I suspect you missplaced your decimal point ;)

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
SwingLowJim said:
Just paid £105.9 a litre for diesel at Sainsbury Folkestone when the price of oil has fallen to its lowest level for decades. Thats a RIP OFF

WOW that is a rip of rice £105.9 thats 100x the current price in most places where its about £1.059 :eek:hmy:

I suspect you missplaced your decimal point ;)

We never used to make these mistakes when we had pounds, shillings and pence.
;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cinema and pubs Coke drinks.
A pint container crammed to the top with ice leaving no room for the drink.
2 litres of a proprietary brand is 99p. Pub etc £2.30. And a short measure of water mixed with a gooey concentrate.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Cinema and pubs Coke drinks.
A pint container crammed to the top with ice leaving no room for the drink.
2 litres of a proprietary brand is 99p. Pub etc £2.30. And a short measure of water mixed with a gooey concentrate.

I always ask for it with no ice :p

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
"Have you been ripped off.?" --- Of course we have, we all have, --- we just don't like admitting it!
No, i've never been ripped off, i've merely paid more for some items then maybe they were worth...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Gabsgrandad said:
"Have you been ripped off.?" --- Of course we have, we all have, --- we just don't like admitting it!
No, i've never been ripped off, i've merely paid more for some items then maybe they were worth...
Any item of goods is worth what the market is prepared to pay for it. The internet has upset the apple-cart now because we can see in an instant what other people have paid for the same item so theoretically it should be more difficult for traders to rip us off.
It still happens though :unsure:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I did my bit to support our farmers on Monday morning in a rush to get to work, popped into the local shop and paid £1.75 for 2 litres of milk, supermarket up the road ....0.89p. Oh and forgot to ask for a receipt :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts