have you used a CL?, questions about CL'S.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we always go on cc sites every holiday because you know what you are getting. next year we might try a CL what are your views on CL'S?.

we would go on one with elec, water, loos, shower and laundry.

have any of you got stuck in mud on a CL?.

is it great for kids more room to play?.

is it safer for kids as not many cars?.

is it good value for money?.

anybody recommend any in dorset, devon and cornwall at all?.

thanks for your advice

jo-anne

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-Anne

Most CL`s do not have many facilities like elec, showers and laundry.

I have to say that we do not go on them very often so others will advise you better than me.

I like proper sites... although throughout the year with our work we have spent nearly every weekend on a open field in a stately home grounds and there are certainly no facilities there !!

But when we can, we go on a CC site as I like being amongst other caravanners and dare I say with the blinds open hoping someone might call for a drink. We usually do make new freinds each time we go on sites and that is what I like about caravanning.

Joyce

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jo-Anne

CL's vary a great deal. The good news is that there seem to be a growing number which are providing so really good facilities and are in nice locations. We stayed at one earlier in the year at Loddon in Norfolk called Gale Riverside, absolutely superb. There is also a website called something like 5van sites, if you do a Google you will find it. Some of them on there look really nice. I suppose you really have to try a couple before you decide they are for you.

David

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo-Anne

We used a CL in Somerset during the summer. It did have EHU and a toilet and shower, We used our vans shower,but their toilet !!.

It was a nice pleasant site no views as such, but in the evening we walked up the road and you had a view of Wells to die for. They didn't take children due to the country road just outside the gate The Owner had decided it was to risky for small children on bikes etc.

At

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
jo-anne

You cannot put all cls in one pot they are all different. Our Cl is not in a holiday area, I am amazed how we have so many visitors, We have 10 amp hook ups, water for each pitch, waste disposal , and a small information summerhouse. the grass is like a lawn. As the soil type is sand it makes very little difference how much rain we have its free draining. As for children we do not have any amusements for them other than the wild life in the adjoining meadow. They still keep comming.All this for

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't like the idea of running your grey water into a hedge. It is maybe not too bad in the Autumn but I imagine it would begin to smell in mid summer. I have never heard of this before. Ken

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Kenneth

This happens quite a lot I believe, what I do know is that they had a pretty good hedge around the field !!!!. No smells etc, I think you would need some very special grey water to create a smell. Waits to be corrected on this one.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kenneth, we're talking waste water here, not toilets! Lots of sites ask you to do this, and its a method I've used for years. Simply spread the water in the bottom of the hedge.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
kenneth

We are happy for Grey water to be put around the trees on our cl the soil is free draining sand and in the summer when its dry it helps the trees. remember its only soap and washing up water, and can be high in nitrates from the detergents used , this helps the grass and trees grow. Should you not like to do this then the normal waste water disposal is there to be used.

David from Suffolk

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I stand corrected on this thread. As I have never stayed on a CL I didn't know this was the norm. I know if you let your wastemaster overflow on a CC Site you would soon be told about it. Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use CL's or CS's [C&CC equivalent a lot] I find them extremely good value and as David Says they are all different. It depends on what you want. Some are literally just a field, a tap and an elsan disposal. More and more these days CL owners are catering for hook ups etc. We used to go regularly to one near Southport which had a shower and loo in a garden shed [and very nice it was too] A couple of weeks ago I was on one that had hard standings and a post with illumination, ehu, individual water and waste so I could just connect my mains adapter to aquaroll. It saves running out mid-shower! I generally go for a minimum of ehu. An odd time the site may be a little untidy but generally I have found if the book says "lawned" it is lawned and very nicely kept too!

I suggest you try a couple - I don't think you will regret it. And in these days of rising prices it can be quite a saving. A few years ago it was a tenner on a club site and a fiver or so on a CL. Now it is 15+ on a club and 8-10 on a CL. I dread to think what a cemmercial would be with pools and bars etc. I never stay on those!

DavidC

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kenneth,if your waste overflowed on a CL you'd probably have a b*ll*cking too! But pouring it discreetly away in a hedge bottom is different to letting it run on the field. Btw, this doesn't only apply to CLs. Southlands caravan park on the IoW specifically request that you use the hedges and trees, as do many others.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
If you go to France many sites expect you to 'water' the hedges/plants.When our sprogs were small we only ever used CLs at that time it was water and elsan,even commercial sites didnt have Ehu.We loved them if I was to use them now I would go for ones with EHU but not toilets showers etc because you might as well go to a commercial site.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
My experience is that it is common to put grey water in the hedge on CLs and green field rallies.

Some sites will not like you putting it in the sceptic tank as they have to pay for it to be emptied and using it for grey water could mean much more than twice as often.

Cls are great although you will be getting much closer to a commercial site than CL with the extras you are expecting, you only seem to have missed off the bar and pool!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are a CC member you can search their CLs on the website, by county or town and then by a tick list of other things you may want e.g. EHU, pub nearby, fishing etc. Some entries now have a photo so you can get an idea of the surroundings.

(The tick list includes Dogs and Adults Only, but I don't mean to start those threads all over again)

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
If you are a CC member you can search their CLs on the website, by county or town and then by a tick list of other things you may want e.g. EHU, pub nearby, fishing etc. Some entries now have a photo so you can get an idea of the surroundings.

(The tick list includes Dogs and Adults Only, but I don't mean to start those threads all over again)
Ray

If there is a photo it shows the cl is run by a club member. its a perk the club offers. but you do not have to take it up.

David from Suffolk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts