Heading South

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
CAMC are also clearly full almost everywhere. There was a queue to even get on the site on Weds evening. Good luck with your search
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Mel,
We have got pitch got a pitch at CMHC Morn Hill near to Winchester only a 50 mile trip. We haven't been away in the caravan since September last year so are looking forwards to just seeing new area, although I must have passed it numerous times on my trips to the Portsmouth area. Our granddaughter will be coming with us as of all the family I think the lockdown has impacted her the most. She's had school visits to Barcelona and Florence cancelled. Her second black belt grading and DoE Silver have been cancelled as well as work experience, and the annual holiday in the Highlands. . And being a teen she undoubtedly misses her friends and social contact at school. But she has been brilliant even doing food parcel drops with her older brother as well as walking the legs of of ourselves. So she deserves the break, and we are also booked for Derbyshire in August. Perhaps after that bookings can be a bit more flexible.

Reactions: Gagakev and Mel
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Mel,
We have got pitch got a pitch at CMHC Morn Hill near to Winchester only a 50 mile trip. We haven't been away in the caravan since September last year so are looking forwards to just seeing new area, although I must have passed it numerous times on my trips to the Portsmouth area. Our granddaughter will be coming with us as of all the family I think the lockdown has impacted her the most. She's had school visits to Barcelona and Florence cancelled. Her second black belt grading and DoE Silver have been cancelled as well as work experience, and the annual holiday in the Highlands. . And being a teen she undoubtedly misses her friends and social contact at school. But she has been brilliant even doing food parcel drops with her older brother as well as walking the legs of of ourselves. So she deserves the break, and we are also booked for Derbyshire in August. Perhaps after that bookings can be a bit more flexible.
Hi i thought you would get a pitch near to home have a nice break our two Grand daughters one a schoolteacher she book a break
the other one will be going with my son family :giggle:

Reactions: otherclive

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
The topic of Legionairres is an old chestnut and I have failed to find any valid reference to anyone catching it from a caravan system. I publicly took our local council to task as they planned to remove sprinklers from social hosing on account of the risk of legionnaires. ( cost was the issue really) Again there were no substantive cases where such systems had caused infection. Even the local Fire Brigade Chief Fire Officer waded in and reminded the council that LD is the least of anyones worries if there is a fire.

Regarding caravans if you sterilise the water system periodically, drain it down when not in use and flush through before use you will be okay. What opening windows or loo flushing has got to do with preventing LD is beyond me. The aerosols droplet size from the domestic loo isn't the size to affect LD but who has a flushing caravan loo that works like a domestic one?

I use HSE guidance as our daughter got bit concerned when she went on holiday for two weeks, blooming Mumsnet!

https://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/
Plus, in the event of remaining doubts Alde heating has an anti LD setting.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Plus, in the event of remaining doubts Alde heating has an anti LD setting.
The normal water thermostat setting on a tank is high enough to be okay, so a sterilisation routine plus a blast through of the hot water is more than enough. But realistically many folks don’t clean the water system or do anything even if they use the van shower. But over the years this has been brought up I’ve failed to find any reference to a validated case occurring in a caravan.

Time the find something else to get anxious about 🤐

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi i thought you would get a pitch near to home have a nice break our two Grand daughters one a schoolteacher she book a break
the other one will be going with my son family :giggle:
50 miles is near to home in my book!!!! Barely time enough to clean the turbo........ ands it’s petrol. Any further and I would need to refuel 😂

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well now Boris has let the sites open again we can finally take up our booking in Devon on July 4th (which has been cancelled/postponed/rebooked 4 times!) and looking forward to a bit of freedom!
Caravan came through it's service & damp check unscathed yesterday and is all set for the off-just a few clothes & food to add and away we go!
Just wondering, how many others are in the same boat? We will be travelling from West Yorkshire to Devon and suspect others will be too so what to expect? Will the Motorway service areas be full or will there be somewhere to stop with a caravan? Will the roads be like August Bank Holiday? Will the M5 be a procession? I see on C&MC sites are pretty full from 5th July so presume some furloughed workers & non returned school kids will be making a break too.
Let us know if you intend travelling straight away or are holding back a bit, or just your opinion.
Make sure your vehicles are up to it, given they've probably been stood a long time with lockdown & drive safely, take care on your travells-get there in peace not pieces!
and finally if you see us on the road-give us a wave!
Well if you are going on the 4th July i would get on the road fairly early i can see you stuck on motorways because everyone going on that date
Take Care Keep Safe :giggle:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have decided to leave early Sunday morning and will be travelling south down the M5. After Weston Super Mare which are the best services to stop for a bit to eat in the caravan as will not be using the services' shops, toilet etc.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have decided to leave early Sunday morning and will be travelling south down the M5. After Weston Super Mare which are the best services to stop for a bit to eat in the caravan as will not be using the services' shops, toilet etc.
i think Sunday a great day to travel (Have a nice break)
Take Care Keep Safe :giggle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sedgemoor or Taunton Deane.. Exeter serves both carriageways and gets M5 and A30 traffic flows very congested at holiday times.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sedgemoor or Taunton Deane.. Exeter serves both carriageways and gets M5 and A30 traffic flows very congested at holiday times.
It is by Taunton that we need to turn off to go down towards Illminster. Hopefully the services is just prior to the turn off?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There aren't any good ones after that! Gloucester is the best but that'll be earlier in your journey

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There aren't any good ones after that! Gloucester is the best but that'll be earlier in your journey
Thanks. Once you turn off the M5 at Taunton towards Bridport I don't think there are any places where one can stop for a break. We have 3 dogs with us so after about 2- 3 hours all of us are probably bursting plus need a break anyway. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Once you turn off the M5 at Taunton towards Bridport I don't think there are any places where one can stop for a break. We have 3 dogs with us so after about 2- 3 hours all of us are probably bursting plus need a break anyway. :D
A358 junction with A30 Horton Cross service area but it could be difficult finding parking. Best would be a lay by on A358 and caravan loo. But don’t rule out Sedgemoor as it’s nit your holiday destination and all you need is a stopping place.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wish everone good luck but as Somerset resident we’re getting pretty terrible reports of congestion at service areas and stations, confrontations with HGV drivers out of hours and finding all HGV parking full and other unrestful stuff.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I went out to our storage site to put the number plate on and just check around and was quite surprised that nearly every slot had a van or MH still parked up.
We are on a site near Weymouth and it is a lot quieter than the same time last year when we were here. Ditto from the CMC site at Bridport where we stayed on Sunday night. The bathroom facilities seemed to being used by quite a number of people on both sites. We will stick to using our own facilities. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts