Health and Driving

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I was in Wessex 4x4 response and also did training with Whitecliff they both emphasised the risks associated with entering water whether a ford or flooded road etc.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Probably best to read the local press about the 4x4 “exercises” that take place at this crossing. And have done do for decades.🥲🥲

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no way the passenger can reach the "hand brake" on the Jeep as it is a foot pedal. Again Mel's suggestion is best.

Having said that on many modern cars you can select whether to have the car in Auto or Manual. The passenger, if quick thinking, could knock the car into manual to down shift into a lower gear and hopefully slowing down the vehicle. I have no idea of the Cruise control would then disengage if it was switched to manual?

Must admit I thought virtually had the switch type now. On ours the on/off button is also in the middle and a passenger could switch the engine off there. To me the main problem is time though as the car could have hit a wall before you can do anything.
Cruise control on our Mazdas and our previous Vauxhall would disengage if the gear lever was moved. Cannot speak for all makes though.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Must admit I thought virtually had the switch type now. On ours the on/off button is also in the middle and a passenger could switch the engine off there. To me the main problem is time though as the car could have hit a wall before you can do anything.
Cruise control on our Mazdas and our previous Vauxhall would disengage if the gear lever was moved. Cannot speak for all makes though.
Interesting. Next time we are out I will see what happens if I move the gearbox to "manual" and select a lower gear.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine comes out of Cruise Control just by the very action of putting the gear lever into Manual Mode. No need to drop a gear.
I am not proposing to have a mishap at some time in the future, but it always good for the passenger to know what to do in an emergency. The vehicle slowing down by 10mph could make all the difference.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried applying the e handbrake at 5 mph in the cul de sac. It stopped the car but didn’t sound healthy 🙀🙀.I wonder what VW might say? 😎😎
If that was what I had to do to stop us hitting a wall, I would not worry about the makers opinion, my life comes first..

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Santa Fe stays in Cruise control, when I move to manual, I didn't try moving down a gear though, next time out.
The Touareg is the same. Moving the gear lever from auto to manual to D or sport mode or using the paddles does not turn CC off.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts