Health Insurance when travelling abroad. (Do holiday makers g...

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I don't post very often but enjoy and appreciate allot of the info given here - Thanks.

My family and I intend to go on holiday in september (abroad if the weather not too good otherwise we'll take the van down to Dorset)) and I have been looking at travel insurance. My life begins next year (40!) but I have a chronic illness which has been diagnosed but fortunately doesn't really affect my life style yet, I disclosed this in my travel insurance application and the premium has shot up by £100 or so. I have the new E111 so thought I'd be ok with this but apparently not. What bothers me is that I have heard of many foreign people using our local A & E department and getting treatment for nothing. How can this be? Do any of you have any experience with high travel insurance premiums when going on holiday and can anyone recomend a good company.

G

It is called 'come to Britain, it is full of stupid numpty's who will give you everything'. Anywhere else they say, 'Pay up front'.

A certain Mr A Blair is the cause of all this, but he has escaped.

Look on the bright side though. If you do need medical help in Europe it will almost certainly be better than what you would get here, and the medical staff will at least speak English , even though it is not their native language. It is also possible they won't be carrying wires and talking about airports.

Just carry a credit card and access to funds and enjoy your time abroad.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Peter,

With the E111 (new card) you should be covered for the EU for Acute Illness, but I am not sure for Chronic Illness.

The EHIC: free or reduced cost treatment

Last modified date: 2 May 2007 A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you're in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/Gettingtreatmentaroundtheworld/EEAandSwitzerland/DH_4114793
The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland applies the EHIC arrangements through an agreement with the EU. The EHIC is valid in:

Austria

Belgium

Cyprus (but not Northern Cyprus)

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Important changes to healthcare cover in Europe

The EHIC has replaced the old E111. From 1 January 2006, E111s are no longer valid. The quickest and easiest way to get an EHIC is to apply online.

Applying for a European Health Insurance Card What does the EHIC cover?

The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years and covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting. Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

The EHIC also covers any treatment you need for a chronic disease or pre-existing illness. You need to make arrangements in advance for kidney dialysis and oxygen therapy. To arrange for kidney dialysis while you're away, contact your NHS renal unit in the UK before you travel. For limited information on oxygen supply services in the EEA countries and Switzerland, call the Department of Health's Customer Service Centre on 020 7210 4850.

Remember that the EHIC won't cover you if getting medical treatment is the main purpose of your trip. You are advised to take out comprehensive private insurance for visits to all countries, regardless of whether you are covered by your EHIC.

Your EHIC should cover you for routine maternity care while you are away. However, if you are going to an EEA country or Switzerland specifically to have your baby, you will need an E112 form - see the 'Non-emergency treatment section' for more information

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/Gettingtreatmentaroundtheworld/EEAandSwitzerland/DH_4114793

G

You will also find that certain countries, and even different areas within any country interpret the rules differently. In some you may be asked to pay up front and reclaim when you return to the UK.

Again, just make sure you have accessd to funds if you need them. Even insurance may take time before they pay.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Peter,

It depends on your age, your illness etc. You could ask your Doctor the odds of falling ill with relevance to your particular circumstances, and then ask not to be covered for it. THATS If you felt the risk to be really low. It is a personal choice and a lot depends on how far away you are going. USA I would never risk, it cost $270,000 to fix something I had, but that was acute so really happy I was insured. It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts