Heating problem - techy help needed.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have currently a Sterling Continental 530 2016, same van as Swift Elegance 530. It is fitted with Alde Heating and the EC320 control panel.

First issue you cant help me with, as the Alde panel needs setting up to include any installed accessories, and I have no clue whether there are any or not.

However, on the EC620, the temp is currently reading inside the caravan 18.5c, which is about right. Outside its reading 8c which Im not sure its that cool. However the Alde panel is reading permanently 27c, which all but negates the heating unless set to its highest levels.

My thinking is that it is some sort of thermostat or sensor failure, but on these caravans, where is it and in truth, what does it look like. There is one section in the Alde manual that refers to various sensors, but this option is greyed out and cannot be activated from the installed accessories setting.

I also notice that if i try to use the Swift Command app, everything can be accessed except the heating page, whether or not this is linked I dont know, but I do know the app is unreliable.

I have been hours on this so any help is gratefully appreciated. Im assuming that this system is replicated in the Eccles and Conqueror.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Most strange, the system was showing a discreet sensor/thermostat fitted, but on removing the panel, there clearly wasnt. Having removed this in installed accessories and rebooting the system it seems to have cleared.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I am unsure about the model numbers but have played with my Alde panel, no comments please! The panel board has a number of inputs most of which aren’t used. My caravan uses the thermostat in the panel which leads to some interesting situations. First suggestion is set the panel to factory settings- see handbook. If you can’t do that check you are not in day or night mode. Both prevent you changing temperatures. Go through the cog wheel to find and check they’re off. Check you are not on continuous pump. The last thing to check is that the panel can have up to 5 degrees offset. Can’t remember where you find that. When mine switches to night mode the temperature readings drop 5 degrees and I haven’t solved that one.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I spoke to Alde this morning and they were fairly adamant that the panel has malfunctioned. Having then spoke to Swift technical and then my dealer I am delighted to say that I am receiving service above and beyond, and rather than have me drag the caravan all the way back, best part of a 200 mile round trip which would have to be done twice, one of their drivers is bringing me a brand new panel tomorrow and will take my old one back. A big well done to Lowdhams for this. :cheer:

As for the settings, night and day mode both off, pump 12v manual is the only one installed and I have that set to therm. Given enough time the panel thermo balances but it takes far too long to come down which is making the caravan cold before the heating kicks back in. At first check there was a 12 degree difference between the two panels and only a possible offset of +/- 5 degrees which doesnt really help. When it does balance and it takes hours to do so, the offset is about 3 degrees.

Either the thermo in the panel is duff or the panel is creating heat (which I cant really see) and warming the thermo. Either way, tomorrow will tell.

The other option is to fit the Alde discreet thermostat, but as you can only get these with a max 2m lead, it would be very difficult in this van to reach a suitable location, 2m will just about reach the cocktail cabinet, and what a white elephant that is. Any shorter and it will be over the cooker.

At the panel end you can add two internal and one external thermostats. The two internals would automatically override the panel thermo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts