heating the awning

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
MY van came with the blown air adapter for the awning fitted as standard and i can advice you all that if you try to heat any thing other than a porch awning it is useless, as it runs off your electric heater it is rated at 2 kw max and most of the heat is lost in the pipework, even when used on gas it failled to make any impression on my full awning. ok my van is 7.9 meters so the awning is large but a simple thermostatically controlled fan heater is far superior and warms the awning to a comfortable level. not worth the money for the truma adapter if its not fitted as standard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, would agree about using the small electric fan heater, BUT the problem is when a dozern vans along a power circuit use them and it trips the supply to all the electicity supply posts on that row ???

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi MARK, the electrics should never trip due to more than one van on a supply, if a site has ten vans on one supply and each van is allowed 16 ams then the supply will be rated at something like 200 amps at source, each van will be limited to 16 amps through a circuit breaker and if any one van uses more than 16 amps then the breaker for that van alone will trip all the others will remain on. even if all ten vans run at the max amperage they are allowed there will still be a margin in the supply to cope with the odd surge from an appliance starting up. a site if legaly connected will never have a supply smaller than the draw capability. of course when using a fan heater of any kind including the vans truma you need to switch it off before using kettles , hairdriers and the such. hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi MARK, the electrics should never trip due to more than one van on a supply, if a site has ten vans on one supply and each van is allowed 16 ams then the supply will be rated at something like 200 amps at source, each van will be limited to 16 amps through a circuit breaker and if any one van uses more than 16 amps then the breaker for that van alone will trip all the others will remain on. even if all ten vans run at the max amperage they are allowed there will still be a margin in the supply to cope with the odd surge from an appliance starting up. a site if legaly connected will never have a supply smaller than the draw capability. of course when using a fan heater of any kind including the vans truma you need to switch it off before using kettles , hairdriers and the such. hope this helps.
good info, but we recently went to lickhill manor worcester and on their rally field they have about six supply posts in a row all with four supplies on, and at the end of the row along the field edge was the main supply for each row and the row we were on was tripping out every ten or so minutes,not the individual van supply or the post it was the whole row ??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In response to Graham's answer of 20 Jul 2005 06:33 PM, Unless you have a very old caravan, the gas fired heaters fitted these days are almost universally room sealed, Which means the products of combustion are contained inside the heat exchanger and only vent to the outside through a flue pipe. If you get fumes inside the caravan then there is something very wrong with the appliance.

The ducted warm air does not contain flue products, and thus, an extention to the system fitted would not compromise safety.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
good info, but we recently went to lickhill manor worcester and on their rally field they have about six supply posts in a row all with four supplies on, and at the end of the row along the field edge was the main supply for each row and the row we were on was tripping out every ten or so minutes,not the individual van supply or the post it was the whole row ??
Hi MARK, from my experiance in the airconditioning trade (before becoming a train driver) we used to change circuit breakers if they had tripped more than five times as they where notorious for getting weaker with every trip, i would imagine that is what was happening on this site. other than that the supply could have been fitted by the owner and may not be up to standard but i would think this very doubtfull as the site safety inspection would uncover such a fault. some times you do get people fitting extra outlets on a supply without any thought as to the maximum currant draw but again if the safety inspecters found such a thing they would almost certainly put a prohibition order on the supply. sounds like you where unlucky and had a weak curcuit breaker.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi JOHN, I think GRAHAM was talking about patio type heaters and other gas appliances within the awning rather than the vans truma heater which as you quite rightly say is a sealed system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi MARK, from my experiance in the airconditioning trade (before becoming a train driver) we used to change circuit breakers if they had tripped more than five times as they where notorious for getting weaker with every trip, i would imagine that is what was happening on this site. other than that the supply could have been fitted by the owner and may not be up to standard but i would think this very doubtfull as the site safety inspection would uncover such a fault. some times you do get people fitting extra outlets on a supply without any thought as to the maximum currant draw but again if the safety inspecters found such a thing they would almost certainly put a prohibition order on the supply. sounds like you where unlucky and had a weak curcuit breaker.
Hi john, the wardens seemed to blame everyone on that row and said it was because we were all running heaters in the awning,Which i must admit most of us were, Though i have not experienced this anywhere else. Thanks for your info though.. mark

TRENDING THREADS