Heating while in storage

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
With all this cold weather we are having ,i just wondered if anyone uses a tube heater or other method to heat their van while it's on their drive?

If so what size heater do you use?

Is there any need to keep the van warm or aired?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The fixed ventilation points mean that you're just heating the air around your home because any warmed air is quickly replace by cold fresh air.

It doesn't take long to warm up when you clean or use the van.

It should only need airing if it's damp - and really the damp needs fixing!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Keith fetched mine home this week, put heating on low to take the chill out of the mattress, built it up slowly and also ventilated, the van smells lovely and fresh, also gave it the spring clean even though it was done before she was put to bed in October.

I think it was best thing to do due to the weather at the moment, could have aired it l suppose but felt this was the best way. Will leave it on 500w with the fan between 1 to 2 seems to hold at around 7 to 9 c ambient in the van.

Thought about a delonge but wouldn't circulate.

NigelH

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We keep our van at home, in the back garden connected to power. I run a small oil field radiator on low. With all the cupboard doors open and the bathroom door it keeps it the whole van luke warm. If the forecast is for extra cold weather I turn the temp up a little. The heat just keeps it feeling nice. I also run a dehumidifier on low. This collects any moisture especially after the van has just been used. I guess none is really necessary, but I think it helps keep it nice. We use our van all year round, so don't empty it. The small amount of heat ensures the duvets etc don't get too cold/damp.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree with you David, l do it because we have a fixed bed, dam awkward to take the mattress out every year and has you say keeps the cold off the mattress and the van fresh.

We are off weekend after next would have loathed to get straight into a cold van when we got their.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I have two of these one at the front & one at the back of the van, they have a three meter cable with a sensor on the end, i dangle the sensor from the light fitting about a good foot down from the roof,and put the main body against the window, you can see how warm it is in the van with out going in... A qouple of quid a piece from Aldi or Lidle, cheap & efective...

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I usually bring the van back to the home drive from storage 48 hours before departure. It certainly warms / airs everything up.

As Nigel says a double matress needs an air and it is dam difficult to take out.

As we use the farm for storage I can't heat her all the time but then I never have , nor have I had a problem.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We keep our van at home, in the back garden connected to power. I run a small oil field radiator on low. With all the cupboard doors open and the bathroom door it keeps it the whole van luke warm. If the forecast is for extra cold weather I turn the temp up a little. The heat just keeps it feeling nice. I also run a dehumidifier on low. This collects any moisture especially after the van has just been used. I guess none is really necessary, but I think it helps keep it nice. We use our van all year round, so don't empty it. The small amount of heat ensures the duvets etc don't get too cold/damp.
How much is it costing you for no real benefit? you are just heating the world.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
How much is it costing you for no real benefit? you are just heating the world.
John L,

Good point but I have never felt the need to work it out. At the end of the day I am just keeping the chill off it. Like Spocket I have a couple of digital thermometers on board front & rear that record min & max temps. I aim to keep the temp around 8C. Obviously on the warmer days this goes up, but this heat from the sun as the radiator is thermostatically controlled and switches off. We use the van almost every other weekend so we think this expense is worth it. We also use it as extra occasional guest lodging when family visit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts