Heavy Vans Why ??

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I posted this in Towcars as a reply to Steve, but thought it a more current debate ???

We have a heavy van around 1850kg MTPLM. Why ? because we like it!!! we are retired just the two of us with occasional grandaughter (soon). My wife wanted a bathroom she could use, she does not want to use site facilities (personal thing). Not being used to towing for an awful long time I read up that TA are more stable than single axels. So it's a TA. Being retired means we can use the van anytime of the year, this weekend it will be Braemar so a well insulated van is a must!! Oh and the wet heating system, along with the inboard tank also helps. The fixed bed is also very user friendly, but not weight friendly I suspect. The fridge and cooker are also useful, along with the Truma TA movers. The spare wheel on the al-ko also is a nice to have,along with the heavy duty battery.

I don't want to sound smug or anything but caravan manufacturers moved up market to satisfy a demand from customers who are possibly like us, retired, comfortable, and a little more adventuress than we used to be. It's not the quick dash on a Friday evening anymore, for a certain section of caravanners. It's a leisurely drive, and then set up for a week or so to live in comfort.

If this requires a heavy vehicle so be it.Not that I am trying to justify our choice, just trying to explain why we made it.

ps Our 4x4 will average 6000 miles per year and last me until I'm finished.( 10 years at least I hope )

Val & Frank

Jan 13, 2007
Visit site
Good for you!We have a 2006 Ace Supreme Sunstar TA and a Landrover Disco and it offers us everything we need.I have three young kids all under 7 and the space that the Ace gives us is first class.

It is a heavy van 1794 MTPLM but with the Disco its no problem,

so good for you getting the TA,You only get one shot at life so why not get what you like.

Craig

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Nice post Frank and good on you for doing your own thing how you want.

What concerns me is that when we get a new van it will be no bigger than the old one but weigh a lot more. It will have no more that the old van apart from weight really.

Cars have got lighter in recent years with more luxury features whilst caravans seem to have gone the other way weight wise.

With fuel economy concerns I would expect caravans to be using more modern lighter materials and components to help address the fuel issues and help with manouvering the Gin palaces to.

G

Everyone to their own. However, at the size, and probably price of the van, plus the cost of a 4x4 the thought crossed my mind that maybe a motorhome would have been a better bet. Would save all that setting up, especially as you are retired, and probably past it.....hee! hee!

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I wondered how long this thread would last before an anti 4x4 threw a side swipe into the ring.

Good for you Frank, sounds like a nice outfit you have there.

i currently have no need for a twin axel, but with baby on the way its only a matter of time until i make the switch, i will feel no guilt about driving a disco either.

heavy generally means more stable and bigger, whats wrong with that?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Rioja " Glad to see someone is helping to keep up the demand for oil. The world economy might collapse without all the4x4 brigade ".

I apologise I never mentioned I am retired from the UKs largest Oil Company, and they pay my Pension. So I do have a vested interest, but hasten to add I don't think it is a conflict of interests. !!!!! we bought what we wanted.

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Scotch Lad

" Everyone to their own. However, at the size, and probably price of the van, plus the cost of a 4x4 the thought crossed my mind that maybe a motorhome would have been a better bet".

I did consider a motorhome but thought the van a better fit for our current lifestyle.In a couple of years time it may be different!!!!.

I did ignore your other comments, now go back to work ----)))))

Val can set up the van she's not retired yet.

Frank

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I wondered how long this thread would last before an anti 4x4 threw a side swipe into the ring.

Good for you Frank, sounds like a nice outfit you have there.

i currently have no need for a twin axel, but with baby on the way its only a matter of time until i make the switch, i will feel no guilt about driving a disco either.

heavy generally means more stable and bigger, whats wrong with that?
Who said anti ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank - can I say that you have selected what you fancied in the caravan and car you wanted, and that is what most of us hope to, or have acheived as well. It is nice to see us "has beens" enjoying our retirement years whether it is by vanning or not, for as I have found out, there is no one immortal and that we are all in the queue of life and how you go through it depends on how you prepare when you are younger and in work.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Rioja "You are not serious about Braemar still are you"?

Yes

Tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. We haven't seen any Wind or Snow in Aberdeen to-day. So fingers crossed for tomorrow

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Rioja

"It is nice to see us "has beens" enjoying our retirement years whether it is by vanning or not, for as I have found out, there is no one immortal and that we are all in the queue of life and how you go through it depends on how you prepare when you are younger and in work".

That is so very true, I lost a Brother in Law and Sister in Law within 12 weeks of each other. This was straight out of the blue.

Now I will never apologise for my decsions. We do as we wish. As for how you prepare for retirement, it is the moves and sacrifices you make when you are young and strong that make retirement either a pleasure or a drudge. I know which one I prefer.

ps If you do hook up and arrive at Invercauld, a welcoming dram will be a waiting !!! oh and a bottle of Rioja from Tescos. We have a big van, a big car, but no cats this weekend!!.

Mind you big vans, big cars is all I've seen at Invercauld !!!.

Val &Frank

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Sorry mixed my wines up a little, but I am sure Rioja and Shiraz are both Cru Class Vintage. Chenin Blanc is down stairs checking I've packed the Duvet, we neally forgot it once before.

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Just nipped out for a Shiraz just in case your on the road this weekend !!!. Mind you should have enough of the other stuff to make up quite a few drams.

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Danny

18 Jan 2007 07:26 PM Frank,

Back in 1976 I was 6 years old ! My dad used to tow a trailer tent with a 1256cc HB Viva loaded to the gunnels with 4 of us in the car.

We used to camp at Praa Sands in Cornwall and in 1976 it was the hot summer as you may wel recall, two years ago I took my family to Praa with our caravan for old times sake, and to be honest not much has changed !

Frank

18 Jan 2007 07:31 PM Hi Danny

1976 the best summer in the UK for years, we had just came back from spending two years in Zambia. Everyone in S Wales had better tans than us!!!

Vauxhall Viva and Victors bring back memories, glad to see yours is still working OK

Val & Frank

Val & Frank

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Frank and Val, hope you enjoy Invercauld. We stayed there a couple of years ago and were fortunate to see the rescue helocopter land and re-fuel in the field next to the site. Well I thought it was good!!!

Graeme.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Graeme,

We stayed at Invercauld just before Christmas for a weekend, it's just about 60 miles from our home. The RAF Mountain Rescue Team train a lot around Glenshee.

Thanks

Val & Frank

G

Frank,

Possibly your pension from the'biggest oil company in the UK' came from their lack of maintenance in the refineries in the US?? Only kidding, I know it actually didn't, but having worked for this Company many times I am fully aware of their strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes felt a bit like working as a native in Colonial times. 'Yes, boss, and bow deeply'

Anyway, hope you enjoy your retirement. I will be working (trying to educate) for the 'good old boys' for a while. Then once pension pot has been re-filled I will be back in my usual life of being a lazy SOB.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi SL,

I will contact the mods tomorrow morning and ask them to forward my address on to you for the tickets, and I will put the money in the sally army box, promise.

ps I worked for the BNOC/BRITOIL bit of the said company.

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts