Heki Mini Rooflight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thinking of replacing my kitchen rooflight with one of these but it's in the centre of the van & I dont want to go on the roof. Can I fit one from inside the van or do I need external access.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on how wide you are across the shoulders. The cut outs are a standard size, so you can assess if you will fit through by measuring your exisitng vent. The hole will be a little bit bigger.

You need to undo all the fastenings around the kitchen vent and then gently push it upwards. this will be quite difficult due to the mastic and is actually easier if you can reach even one side of it from steps outside the caravan (Carful about leaning anything against the 'van, awning rails distort quite easily.

once you have got the vent released, you will need to get head and sholders out through the hole and scrape off the remains of the mastic and get it all nice and clean before fitting the new one. Takes quite a long time c.1 hour probably, Use a plastic scraper and some white spirit (and don't smoke while doing it). Then follow the instructions on the pack. New mastic as tape supplied by W4 amd available in caravan shops is much easier and cleaner than seal from a tube. Be careful tightening the screws - a little at a time and work on diagonals (as when fitting a wheel)

I fitted a mini heki some time ago and it has been fine, but make sure you put it on the secure position in tr
sit and use the catches to hold it half way open - it blows open very easily if you don't and can crack the clear part. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be very careful. A recent review of customer complaints about caravan reliability had leaks from rooflights as 'top of the pops'. When a rooflight is factory fitted there is a substantial amount of reinforcement introduced into the roof void to support the frame of the rooflight. A retro-fit can't possibily include this degree of waterproofing. You may be lucky but, unless you are very experienced in this type of work, my advice would be to - take advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts