Heki rooflight blown open?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Got a call from our storage site saying one of our rooflights was open. So we went to see and the medium size Heki (with the spring out locking button ) was wide open. Fortunately, only the sun blind (which we keep closed) and the loo were wet, the carpet was fine... I can't see how this can have blown open, and I'm 100% certain it was locked shut.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presumably it happened when we had those really strong winds a couple of days ago.
If that was the case, then I am not surprised.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
This also happens to our medium sized Heki,the difference being it doesn't happen when the rooflight is locked down only when the rooflight is at it's first opening position.There is a very small "dimple" on the groove to prevent this but it's far too small and doesn't prevent the rooflght blowing fully open.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This also happens to our medium sized Heki,the difference being it doesn't happen when the rooflight is locked down only when the rooflight is at it's first opening position.There is a very small "dimple" on the groove to prevent this but it's far too small and doesn't prevent the rooflght blowing fully open.
My Hekii 400x400 blew open when it was on its first position on the cam track. I had forgotten to latch down the small vertical “ keep” that prevents movement on the cam track. Fortunately no damage was incurred. The main one over the lounge has no such locking keep so that is put down and locked when there are winds from the rear of the caravan. But I didn’t think that strong winds would dislodge it’s spring loaded transverse locking bar. Hope yours hasn’t sustained damage to the front hinges or supports.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Well, this one was deffo locked. We check it at least once a week and will now make sure we visit after any seriously windy conditions...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had the same problem once on a previous caravan. I could swear it was locked but as it only happened once I do wonder if I had failed to lock it fully.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Obviously this is a possibility, but I'm as positive as I can be I closed it properly... I intend to check as soon as possible after any more gales...

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
That takes me back when we had a motorhome, doing about 60mph noticed "its getting cold" in hear I said to my wife ,. A passing motorist came bye flashing and waving to us pointing upwards. Pulled over to find the Heki had come up , lucky no damage

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I was flagged Down going in to Boston one Friday afternoon with the heki wide open outcame the gaffer tape till I arrived at skeggy,

B

Beachball2

When we brought our latest caravan (Abbey) we were just going down a bumpy road and passenger by was pointing I look back the Heki was wide open . This was checked before we left and windows . our friend who services caravan has done something and it seems alright now

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My 400x400 Heki at the rear has a couple of keeps that allow it to be latched into the first opening position. But the main one doesn't have anything. I considered the latches as shown above but instead cut two lengths of 13 amp cable which sit neatly in the curves of the track and prevent it getting caught by wind gusts. But even with them in I am cautious about having it full open in anything but quite conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even with precautions I'd still be wary of leaving my rooflights open unattended in high winds. That goes for wind out awnings as well. I once saw a guy's awning get blown over his roof. There was a lot of damage.
Agree, we never leave the roof lights open when away from the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
no it isn't - it's just idiotic slang
As I said language evolves and if you look on the net you will find a definition. I bet you use different words to those used by your parents and grandparents. But It cannot really be bugging you as your post #15 was on 20 June. Why go back to it now, it’s almost a Necro post by you. Definition of Necro on the net. 😀

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Probably irrelevant, as the results remain the same. But I think the roof lights are sucked open rather than blown as the wind causes a vacuum above it.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts