Hello and help?

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I came across this forum whilst looking for an answer to my problem.
My caravan has damp!
It has been in and out of the workshop over the last two years and they still fail to repair it correctly.
It's going in tomorrow for another damp test, but I'm afraid that due to the heatwave we've been experiencing, it will give a false reading.
Any advice?
Thankyou

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jayc said:
Hi. I came across this forum whilst looking for an answer to my problem.
My caravan has damp!
It has been in and out of the workshop over the last two years and they still fail to repair it correctly.
It's going in tomorrow for another damp test, but I'm afraid that due to the heatwave we've been experiencing, it will give a false reading.
Any advice?
Thankyou

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your damp, but it’s not unusual in caravans. It would help if you gave the make, model and year of the van. How long have you had it? Did you buy it new or used? Did you buy it from a dealer? Who has been doing damp tests and damp repairs? Where is the damp?

Then you will get a better set of replies to try and help you.

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I bought the caravan new from the dealer. It was a 2008 Avondale Dart and the damp was in the back offside upper corner. I have had it back and forth to the dealer several times over the last 2 and a half years. I have another damp test today. I have got the bank involved (as I paid for the repair by credit card) they have told me to take it to someone for a damp test (to prove it’s still damp) with a full report including the cost to have it repaired. I’m just concerned that the recent heat wave will not show up the damp lurking behind the boards!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jayc said:
Hi. I bought the caravan new from the dealer. It was a 2008 Avondale Dart and the damp was in the back offside upper corner. I have had it back and forth to the dealer several times over the last 2 and a half years. I have another damp test today. I have got the bank involved (as I paid for the repair by credit card) they have told me to take it to someone for a damp test (to prove it’s still damp) with a full report including the cost to have it repaired. I’m just concerned that the recent heat wave will not show up the damp lurking behind the boards!

Your banks advice is sound. I would go ahead with the damp test as see what the results are. If the weather has dried it out then I would contact the dealer in writing of the results, but point out that the weather may have affected the results and that you will have a repeat test carried out in 3 months time. That way you lay down a marker. Given the timescale this has been going on using the Section 75 approach through the credit card company is a viable approach, but don't forget your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which are directly between you and the dealer/repairer

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Is there a timescale from first paying with the card? (Three years?) I think it will be three years in November. I did wash it a couple of weeks ago (including the roof, so perhaps that will help)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the three year point but proceedings need to be started within six years except for Scotland where it is five if it comes to that. I would try the citizens Advice web site or their helpline unless you want to look up the legislation.
I agree the hot dry spell might have affected the readings but if the damp was bad then I doubt it would eliminate them.
I am afraid that the last Avondale models which includes yours were notorious for damp. If you are thinking of trading it in most dealers will be very careful before accepting it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully support the advice you have been given about getting a damp report carried out with notes about the recent dry spell. but I think I should also make the point that the chances of getting a remedy against the repairer is not guaranteed, for one or more of the following reasons;-

Virtually all makes of caravans seem to suffer some issues with damp. Some manufacturers have a worse record than others for certain issues, and Avondale are not rated highly in this respect.

The original repairer would have been contracted to carry out certain works, How those works were specified is important. Were the instructions to the repairers to " repair the damp issue" or to "prevent further damp occurring"

If the former was the instruction, then the repairer was only obliged to repair the affected area without fully examining the rest of the caravan for other potential leak points. If the latter was the case, then the repairer may have failed in their execution of the contract.

You must also appreciate that its often the case that when a repair is carried out, its usually installing new materials next to original (aged) materials. Sometimes the repair is fine, and its the original materials next to the repair that deteriorate more quickly and start to fail.

If these are parts the repairer was not contracted to touch, they have no liability for their failure.

Sadly I unless there is a very clear failure of the repairers previous work, I don't hold out much hope of any remedy in your favour. I suggest not just having a damp check but try to get the surveyor to offer a professional opinion in writing as to the cause and if its down to faulty repairs or original structure.

You will have to decide after the damp check if its worth the time and effort and outlay to pursue a remedy when there is a reasonable amount of doubt as to the success of a claim..

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Thank you all for replying.
It was to repair the damp issue as the readings were very high (in the 90s!) it has continued over the last few years to be in the same place. They even took the original boarding out inside and after 'repairing' it, replaced with new.
I have just been to them to read the area again (this morning in fact) and it now reads 13 in that area, but with seven weeks of dry spell I have asked to return in three months after hopefully more wet weather to fully check this out. I paid nearly £900 so I want to make sure they do it properly. If it wasn't in the same place, I would have to accept, but it's not. If my husband would camp in a tent I would all it and go for that. As it is, I can barely get him to come with us in the caravan! My children and I love it and I have great memories of caravanning as a child.....my husband went to Butlins and so is used to chalets and rented cottages.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jayc said:
Thank you all for replying.
It was to repair the damp issue as the readings were very high (in the 90s!) it has continued over the last few years to be in the same place. They even took the original boarding out inside and after 'repairing' it, replaced with new.
I have just been to them to read the area again (this morning in fact) and it now reads 13 in that area, but with seven weeks of dry spell I have asked to return in three months after hopefully more wet weather to fully check this out. I paid nearly £900 so I want to make sure they do it properly. If it wasn't in the same place, I would have to accept, but it's not. If my husband would camp in a tent I would all it and go for that. As it is, I can barely get him to come with us in the caravan! My children and I love it and I have great memories of caravanning as a child.....my husband went to Butlins and so is used to chalets and rented cottages.

I hope that your efforts bring some reward re the damp ingress and the repairs. In the meantime hopefully you will get some more nice spells away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts