Hello everybody!

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Good Evening and a warm hello to you all. My name is Oz and I am a new face on the block, so to speak. My lovely wife, Paula and I live in north Wales. We are both recently retired. We had a touring caravan in the early 1980's but, due to work committments etc we had to give it up.... until, that is, 2011 - when we decided to buy a brand new starter caravan to see if we still love caravanning! We purchased a Sprite Alpine 4 and we've toured far and wide in it - and enjoyed every second. We have now purchased a brand new CoachmanPastiche 520/4 - and we took delivery of it two weeks ago and we are about to set off tomorrow morning (Monday) for four nights so as to get used to the new van. We have a VW Tiguan to tow it with - with atowball max weight of 100k.
During a break in the rain this afternoon, I decided to take a nose weight reading - expecting this van to be much heavier than the Sprite! To my amzement and utter surprise, I found that it weighed 60k - which is even below the 5%-7% preferred ratio. My MTPLM is 1475 (I have a solar panel on the van's roof) and I was aiming for 6.3% or thereabouts. Despite my best efforts, the only way I could increase the nose weight to nearer the 6.3% weight (93k) was to place the - wait for it - the awning, awning poles, awning furniture at the front of the Van. (Contrary to all my common sense/instincts.) It is a four berth Van and there are only two of us so the weight in general is less. If anyone can tell me how else I can achieve the desired nose weight of approx 90 - 93k then I would be very grateful indeed. Thank you in anticipation for any helpful suggestion, experience, advice.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dewin, , as you are one of the few others that have that random problem of not enought Nose weight, In my Coachman V60 Vip. . I have to have a fare amount of weight forward of the axle. both gas Bottles full, toilet and Stuff in the front, We keep the van well balanced. Food inthe Fridge etc, we are not (we Think Numptys) , But now got it sorted. As it is a long van, height of the tow hitch is not a a problem towards hitch weights, , as my weights are low on the floor. .

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your kind response and comments. I have felt and still do feel athat I am a right Numbty!! My porch awning and stuff will have to stay at the front for now and I'll see how the van behaves on the road! I'll have a nose weight of around 6%.
Thanks again.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I see no problem with the awning and poles at the front if that gives you the noseweight you want. I would not get too hung up though on getting it to the max as long as the outfit is stable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I concur with Ray and the others.

Picking a particular percentage of MTPLM as the nose load to go for should only be used as a starting point. There is no hard and fast figure that is universally right, it's a bit of a suck it and see process. The industry guidance of 5 to 7% is just that a guide, though beware with bigger caravans the 7% may exceed the capability of the tow cars hitch "S" value limit.

The importance of nose load, is to keep the outfit as stable as possible, Too little and the onset of instability occurs at lower speeds, Generally bigger nose loads seem to delay the onset of instability, so bigger is better, BUT you must not exceed the towbars or the caravans maximum nose load"S" limits.

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Much appreciated and very reassuring. I'm now on the Caravan Site. The tow was excellent. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to respond - and to help. A big thank you!

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
A big thank you to you too for taking the time and trouble to write and to assist. Your comments are reassuring and make perfect sense. I'm on the Caravan Site now and just finished setting all up and porch awning. The towing experience was excellent. I settled for the 6% mark for this tow. A million and more thanks!

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, Dustydog! This Forum is wonderful. I have received so much support and lovely warm welcomes too. I do, so, love this Caravanning life and my wife and I love our new caravan. Our first outing in it was so easy going and relaxing - once I got over my worries about the nose weight, that is!! We're off again on Monday and plan all sorts of trips (health allowing) from now on. Are you a long time caravanner? I want to buy one of those Cadi Chefs - the one on higher legs! Have you any experience of using them? I'll need to buy a long gas pipe too. Happy caravanning to you!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dewin
We're away now.You can never have too much of the caravan life.
We use a Cadac Chef with all the accessories. It sits on a tripod and is great for ease of use sitting down having a pint. With the dome lid on we use it as an oven for slow roasts etc.
First caravan came in 1978. Basically compared to today's offerings.
Officially the maxing as hose enthusiastic is I believe restricted to a maximum of three metres.Longer hoses my be available on eBay but may not be good practice.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Heĺo, also a belated Welcome, from us, cadacs and other Gas Bbq's great, as DdD says there is supposed to be a linit, just dont go too close to the awning, If itst raining go to the pub or have a big Brolly. :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Oz and Paula, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Coachman.
Too little noseweight can adversely affect stability, and a good way to increase the noseweight if you don't want to place a potentially wet awning inside the caravan would be to use containers of water.
1 litre of water = I kg so it's a simple matter to measure the water ballast accurately.

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Greetings, Parksy!
Thank you so much for the warm welcome to the Forum. It's much appreciated. Your water ballast advice makes perfect sense. We're off again ("Yahoo!") tomorrow - but only for four nights - and won't be needing the awning, poles and furniture. Your water ballast advice will be taken on boatd - literally! Thank you once again. Happy caravanning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts