Hello everyone

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
hello I'm a wannabe caravan owner , not really sure which one yet but hoping for some inspiration and some guidance too, have been a van owner in the past but it was a long time ago and looking around caravans have changed a lot most noticeably the size how have caravans got so big !
So a it about myself I'm 52 so let's get going after all times running out ha
I'm married no pets or children so the van I'm after would be for 2
We are planning to do a bit of work in Switzerland and no the French alps so will be staying put maybe 3-4 months at a time so not touring that much but I really need a on board water tank , I have seen a few vans with but they are a bit on the heavy side so suggestions welcome , ah yea the tow vehicle is a skoda yeti 4 wheel drive job so kerb weight is not fantastic.
Just a bit of background I work as a HGV driver and have been towing something on and off most of my driving days , most of my younger days towing car transporters with very doubtful loads
However this is a project I would like to get right so any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks G

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello Bigfoot, welcome to the forum.
The best starting point would be to find out what your car can legally and safely tow and then to look on dealers forecourts, classified adverts etc for suitable layouts which have the things that you are looking for.
A list of what you want / don't want can help when choosing a caravan, you can tick them off as you look at the various makes and models.
Click Here to have a browse at the main things to watch out for if buying a used tourer. There are some really good caravans out there but there are also some sheds, so do your research to avoid wasting your money. :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The Yeti is an excellent tow car but is very light and it will restrict your choice of caravan and will certainly rule out almost any of the larger models. An onboard water tank is only fitted to high spec models and these tend to weigh more and will at best limit your choice, if indeed you can find one light enough for the car. There are other specific requirements for the Switzerland so you will need to make sure you meet all of these.
You may be required to fit snow chains in winter so if you are there then you will need some.
I do not want to be too pessimistic on your proposals, but finding the right caravan to meet your criteria might be a challenge with the Yeti, but if you can manage it then enjoy..

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply yes the yeti is a bit low on the kerb weight and when I bought the car I really never intended towing but anyhow foresight is a wonderful thing ! I'm still looking at the moment but I think I may have to do a modification on a van for the water tank, heating is the other concern
As for the chains I visited Germany last year and picked up a set of winter tyres
Unbelievable!! The car sticks to the road like glue also a little cheaper than the uk
But thank you for your comments and the welcome there is some great stuff on this forum and website

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Bigfòot. A few points as soon as you go into Switzerland you need a vignette fornthe car and the caravan, for the motorways, you cant realy travel anywhere on other roads,otherwise. about 40 to 50 SF. Each.
Why an anboard tank? Just get a couple of aqua rolls you will still have to fill the tank from an external supply. So if you are premanant a hose to an aqua roll or diirect, .
If its in the winter double insulate everything. And have an "double roof. " 10 inch noòf gap . Have a good time but its not cheap there.
You dont need winter tyres as a legaities but best to get x climate ones, even most mountain passes are clear except the ones you want to explore.I just have a set of snow chains for my front wheels. Have fun and eat in the bakeries, "cake shops" cheaper beer and wine with your cake an quiche.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BF, forgot to ask where an CH are you going to. It make a very bid difference between language and rules.
This might help.
http://www.about.ch/culture/languages/words_n_phrases.html
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts