Hello. New to this site

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello, we are new to this site and fairly new to caravaning. We live on the Wirral peninsula and have both recently taken early retirement. Our first caravan was stolen from our drive at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning in October before we had the opportunity to use it. I cannot praise the Caravan Club insurance enough - they were outstanding - the insurance was new for old - they replaced the the stolen caravan with a new one - so we now have a Sterling Eccles Sport 442 - loving it. We tow with a Rav4.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll have more luck with your 2nd van, it's good to know the insurance paid without any problems, enjoy your new hobby

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your good wishes. I hope our caravan is now secure - it has a Tracker fitted - Alko wheel lock - Milenco hitch lock - Milenco steady locks on the back legs and an Alarm fitted.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
It makes me sick the lengths we have to go to to prevent some thieving scum bags from taking our belongings that we work or save hard for, but fingers crossed your new van will be secure with the equipment you've fitted. Enjoy your caravan and all the friends you've yet to meet whilst on site. :)

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, just to finish the thread. The guy who stole the van was on his own - the van had an Alko hitch lock - steadies down - and a security light on the drive. It was parked alongside my car with a car opposite in a small road which is a dead end. The lady next door saw him pull the van out and leave it outside her house while he hitched it up - she even asked him to move along as she was going to work ( she is a CID officer). The caravan was picked up on the CCTV cameras on a major roundabout - however, the car number and car was registered as scrap with the DVLA - so therefore no tax,insurance details.
Please please do not underestimate these determined thieves.
We really enjoy the new van and caravanning per se
That's it on that subject now

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)
With your past awful experience, something else to always bear in mind is not to leave your caravan unattended when you stop at a Motorway Service Area, as caravans have been stolen from them. Always make sure someone stays with the caravan when using the facilities and buying anything you may need from the shop.

We always plan a stop after about two hours towing and take a flask and our food with us and take turns in going to the main building.
Not all MSA's are caravan friendly and we log the good and the bad ones in a notebook, which we find useful.
This forum has been very useful, too, in providing details of peoples experiences on MSA's in areas we have yet to visit and that info. goes into the notebook too.

Happy and safe caravanning!.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts