Hello! Some advice please :)

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone, I bought a Bailey pursuit 430/4 a couple of years ago and am looking to get a porch awning. Does anyone have any they would recommend that fit this model of van? Equally are there any to avoid! Looking for one thats easy to put up but not too flimsy. Appreciate any help or advice. Can't wait to get out on the road again once lockdown lifts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone, I bought a Bailey pursuit 430/4 a couple of years ago and am looking to get a porch awning. Does anyone have any they would recommend that fit this model of van? Equally are there any to avoid! Looking for one thats easy to put up but not too flimsy. Appreciate any help or advice. Can't wait to get out on the road again once lockdown lifts.
Hi welcome to the forum. I use a Dorema Quattro porch. Comes in two sizes 225 or275. It is a framed awning but very easy to assemble and erect. Good quality material not to lightweight so dies not suffer condensation in spring autumn. Very sturdy when winds are blowing hard.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.
All Porch Awnings I know will fit your caravan.
New or used? Conventional or air? Roller blind style?
your choice.
For me, if you intend caravanning regularly then you will find it hard to beat an Isabella Magnum. 3mtrs wide and 2.5 mtrs approx deep. Easy to erect and peg. One of the strongest in bad weather.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. @otherclive is the dorema quattro a two man job to put up or would one person manage it?

There are just so many brands/designs/sizes and I don't have a big budget for this but at the same time don't want to waste money buying a cheap one only to have to replace in a year or so.

@Dustydog I think the isabella ones look great - but possibly out of my price range for now.

Ahh decisions decisions....if only I could go and look at some properly!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. @otherclive is the dorema quattro a two man job to put up or would one person manage it?

There are just so many brands/designs/sizes and I don't have a big budget for this but at the same time don't want to waste money buying a cheap one only to have to replace in a year or so.

@Dustydog I think the isabella ones look great - but possibly out of my price range for now.

Used Isabella’s do crop up. Keep your eyes peeled. BTW, one person can erect the whole unit

Reactions: family_adventures
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I can put the Dorema Quattro up on my own. It’s quicker and easier with two people though.

Reactions: family_adventures
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Welcome to the forum all porch awning i know will fit a caravan We brought a Vango Varkala ll 280 air porch awning and seen them online been put by one person but it your choice at the end of the day to each is own

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Best is Isabella Magnum. Look for a second hand one and you will not be disappointed. Many, but not all of the other porch awnings are made of the flimsy material which seems to suffer from condensation etc

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the simple answer id buy the best you can afford. The quality is generally directly proportional to the price in most cases so it is more a question of finding the one you like in your price rage. The one point to watch though is the position of the windows on your caravan. Do take measurements of where these are and check the length of the awning to make sure the upright poles of the awning do not run over the window.
Frankly I think some people are blinded by Isabella, yes they are good, but very pricey and I think you can get better value elsewhere.. We have a Bradcot and there is nothing wrong with that, and there are many other good makers. If you are buying from a dealer then you will be able to see and feel the material used and make your own mind up. I would avoid the very cheap ones though as they will normally not last the course.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think the simple answer id buy the best you can afford. The quality is generally directly proportional to the price in most cases so it is more a question of finding the one you like in your price rage. The one point to watch though is the position of the windows on your caravan. Do take measurements of where these are and check the length of the awning to make sure the upright poles of the awning do not run over the window.
Frankly I think some people are blinded by Isabella, yes they are good, but very pricey and I think you can get better value elsewhere.. We have a Bradcot and there is nothing wrong with that, and there are many other good makers. If you are buying from a dealer then you will be able to see and feel the material used and make your own mind up. I would avoid the very cheap ones though as they will normally not last the course.
Isabella are very good, commensurate with the price - but it's doubtful anyone uses them long enough or often enough to get their money's worth - it's worth considering Ventura who are owned by Isabella and use the same materials but at lower cost.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Dorema has to go over the front nearside window as dear old Swift did not leave enough width between the front edge of the door and the rear edge of the window. The “ aerodynamic “ front panel of the van constrained the window position. A case of form over function.

However before putting the awning up I get a wet cloth and wipe the window and the verticals of the awning. I also have two clamps that slide into the awning rail. These clamp the awning top from moving backwards and forwards. Not had any scratches on the window. But the ideal is to avoid the Windows if possible.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have access to the van then measure the n/s wall to see what width will suit without obstructing windows or hatches. if this is possible. We have had a poled Kampa porch awning for yoinks which is still as good as new, 280 width , although many will now be air awnings instead of poled. Also think of what you want it for, ours is amply large enough for an airer, 2 chairs and a small table., but if for example you want extra sleeping space then you can get inner tents or annexes to fit some models. AS you say a huge choice, so maybe look out for a used one to save on the initial layout and upgrade later when you have discovered what most suits your needs.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. Its really useful to get some opinions.

I really need a space for wet things/child/bike to come straight into that I don't have to be worrying he will get water/mud on before going into the caravan. Also somewhere to sit and relax. I've measured up and 260cm will fit in terms of windows etc.

So daft question alert - when you pitch the awning on a site where the ground is more uneven or you need the steadies up a bit higher will the awning still fit? Or do you end up with a gap at the bottom? How do you then prevent it becoming like a parachute in the wind if there is a gap?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. Its really useful to get some opinions.

I really need a space for wet things/child/bike to come straight into that I don't have to be worrying he will get water/mud on before going into the caravan. Also somewhere to sit and relax. I've measured up and 260cm will fit in terms of windows etc.

So daft question alert - when you pitch the awning on a site where the ground is more uneven or you need the steadies up a bit higher will the awning still fit? Or do you end up with a gap at the bottom? How do you then prevent it becoming like a parachute in the wind if there is a gap?
It will still fit as the side skirts allow for variations in ground slope and I just adjust the pole heights to cater for the slope. Never had a problem.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some years ago we brought a Bradcot Portico XL porch awning we always took the side panels out because it made it lighter and the frame went up easy to each is own

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats a great idea taking the panels out @Beachball, it would def make it easier to handle and lighter. Thanks
It’s a quite normal procedure. Mine are always taken out when I drop it down. With a frame awning there’s an advantage of lighter weight and the poles and awning can be carried separately in your car or van or roof box. Gives a bit more flexibility.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Taking the panels out definitely makes the job lighter but I’m buying a new awning for this summer where I chose it because I want to pitch it all in one go, when I sold my last caravan I chucked in with the price a Kampa awning air type because it was a little on the heavy side with all the panels in and with them without getting it to look like a blind man but my main reason for absolutely hating the awning was I want the awning to look as though it’s gone up fairly quickly and looks nice and tidy and no bits flapping about, how can I explain, I don’t want panels that when it’s up are curved or at funny angles, I want nice straight sides, so with my new one it’s going to be all panels zipped in, then I’ll run it through the awning rail, peg down the pole(inflatable type) and then inflate it and it should all be in place and just need pegging, it’s not easy to explain what I mean but I’m staking £600 plus the cost of carpet and roof lining on an awning I haven’t seen other than online that this go up and look tidy, maybe when I get it I can show you what I mean.

BP

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Taking the panels out definitely makes the job lighter but I’m buying a new awning for this summer where I chose it because I want to pitch it all in one go, when I sold my last caravan I chucked in with the price a Kampa awning air type because it was a little on the heavy side with all the panels in and with them without getting it to look like a blind man but my main reason for absolutely hating the awning was I want the awning to look as though it’s gone up fairly quickly and looks nice and tidy and no bits flapping about, how can I explain, I don’t want panels that when it’s up are curved or at funny angles, I want nice straight sides, so with my new one it’s going to be all panels zipped in, then I’ll run it through the awning rail, peg down the pole(inflatable type) and then inflate it and it should all be in place and just need pegging, it’s not easy to explain what I mean but I’m staking £600 plus the cost of carpet and roof lining on an awning I haven’t seen other than online that this go up and look tidy, maybe when I get it I can show you what I mean.

BP
I share your like of geometrically straight awnings but used to pack the side/front panels separately - so put the roof/frame up loosely pegged to stop it flying away, zip the panels in and then peg it down properly.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Geometrically straight sums up exactly what I want it to be when it’s all pegged down, I like things to look nice and tidy, the awning I gave to the guy who bought out previous Kampa rally was not like that at all.

BP

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Geometrically straight sums up exactly what I want it to be when it’s all pegged down, I like things to look nice and tidy, the awning I gave to the guy who bought out previous Kampa rally was not like that at all.

BP
My point was that they're just as possible even if starting with the panels out.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

BP
When we brought our Bradcot Portico Xl we were on a seasonal site and wanted the Porch Awning to go up quick that why we took the side panels out it a lot lighter to put the roof/ frame up with the poles and pegged it and zip the panels in and then we would tighten the pegs .
Whatever works for you .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts