May 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, looking for our first caravan as a way to get away with our dogs so doing lots of research and have always found forums to be the best source of sound information.
I'm a long standing Volvo enthusiast so have a good tow car and work in the Marine industry so used to dealing with floating caravans :)
So bare with me if i ask a daft question.

Steve

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.
There are no "daft" questions, only the ones you don't ask , then regret when it all goes wrong.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Steve, our dogs love getting out and about in the caravan. Lots of sites don't charge for dogs but some sites charge upto £3.00 a night. Ask away,

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you choose the correct size seating for the dogs, then you will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!

31608628386_8880bc71c4_c.jpg

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you are looking at.

Thank you for your kind responses. We're just starting out so looking for a nice 2 berth, the wife's funny about shower blocks so a nice bathroom is essential, seen an 02 Lunar Clubman 475 for sale locally that seems to fit the bill.

I'm generally okay checking out the mechanics and electrics but this damp thing has me concerned, I've read a lot of buying guides on the internet but I'd be interested in any members input.

My tow car is my trusty 98 Volvo V70 R which I've owned and maintained for 11 years I don't expect it to be economical when towing but we live in Devon so only intend going to Cornwall to start with.

Thanks again
Steve

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Well after much searching we have picked up our first van. It was located in North Devon so thought we’d pitch up for the night and travel back today, bit nerve racking but all went well apart from the water pump not working.

Anyway it’s an 03 Compass Rallye 482, 2 local owners but has been a little neglected, used a total of 9 times in its 15 years but has a least been regularly serviced.

So one or two little jobs to be done and let the fun begin!

Steve

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well done matey, hope you have fun with your new van and not too many problems, enjoy your time out, winters are a great time away as well.
Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on buying your caravan Steve, I hope that you have many happy times in it.
Does the water pump run at all when it isn't pumping water or is it completely dead?
Sometimes on caravans that have stood for a while the inlet becomes blocked with debris, cobwebs and earwigs hiding from predators.
Also check for leaking pipework or valves.

May 16, 2018
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Well done matey, hope you have fun with your new van and not too many problems, enjoy your time out, winters are a great time away as well.
Hutch

Very true, we both work in the leisure industry so time off at the height of the season is impossible so Autumn and Spring are great times of year for us, normally good weather and quite.

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
Congratulations on buying your caravan Steve, I hope that you have many happy times in it.
Does the water pump run at all when it isn't pumping water or is it completely dead?
Sometimes on caravans that have stood for a while the inlet becomes blocked with debris, cobwebs and earwigs hiding from predators.
Also check for leaking pipework or valves.

I’ve checked the pump and it works with 12volt to it, you can here the micro switches operate in the taps?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the pump runs with 12v then the problem must lie in the caravan. Have you found the water pumps master switch? This is usually on the caravans control panel. There could be a fuse associated with it.

Its highly unlikely that all the micro switches would fail simultaneously, so if master switch and fuse are ok, that leaves a break in the wiring.

If a caravanner has had problems with the switched tap water system, it's quite easy to convert it to a pressure switched system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts