Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Just joined to get some info really. Never towed before and thought I would try and get some advice so here I am. Any recommendations for a 2 berth caravan for someone who hasn’t towed before?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Missiemoo welcome to the forum
I own a Abbey GTS 215 2 Berth end washroom touring caravan might suit also what towcar have you got .

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
At the moment we are also looking for new car so need to think about that too. Would only need a small two birth caravan. Did you all have lessons to enable you to tow?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
At the moment we are also looking for new car so need to think about that too. Would only need a small two birth caravan. Did you all have lessons to enable you to tow?
Hi Missiemoo welcome to the forum, it would really help if you anserwed Otherclives question:
Do you have a BE or B licence as it will affect your outfits total weight.
How long have you had your licence? seems you may benefit from a course if you have never towed before, Both main stream clubs do them and would put you on the right road, the clubs being CMHC & CCC, think you would benifit if you were a member, Google them and see which one suits.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No i haven’t had lessons to legally allow me to tow. I passed my test in 1964! But when I had a Caravan I did take the CMHC course which not only included manoeuvring excercises on private land but lots of classroom tuition on many aspects related to safe towing.
But if you only have a B category on your licence you will be restricted on the weight of your outfit which could affect your choices. So a formal test to obtain the E category (BE) would open up your choice significantly.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I started towing things like motorbike trailers with a 3.5 Rover V8. Which in 1974 was a powerfull car, and then towed twin axle caravans, didn't even think about weights etc. I have never done a towing course, but I would recommened, to some one new, that its a good idea.
A Towing course is not a legal requirment, but it might reduce your caravan insurance, by £10 .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are off to see our son who lives near Maesteg and we’ve not seen him since early January. We cannot stay the night due to the ongoing welsh restriction but will be “ naughty” and go inside the house as it’s bound to rain in Wales!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are off to see our son who lives near Maesteg and we’ve not seen him since early January. We cannot stay the night due to the ongoing welsh restriction but will be “ naughty” and go inside the house as it’s bound to rain in Wales!
Hi otherclive i would agree with you it does like to rain in wales but enjoy your visit ..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Missiemoo. The choice of caravans depends on several things but firstly the weight and towing capacity of the tow car. There is a towing guide supported by both big clubs and the National Caravan Council which suggests that you should not tow a caravan with an MTPLM (the maximum weight of the caravan) which is more than the kerb weight of the car. You can add 75kg for the driver and some luggage to the unladen weight to find this. Do check the manufacturers towing limit as if this is the absolute limit as it may come out less. The 85% is an old figure and possibly now outdated, and personally I would not worry about 90%. If you are buying a small two berth than anything except the smaller cars should work but do check it.
What you need to look at then is your budget. The cheapest two berths are the Freedom and start at £12,000 but are very basic and after that the sky is the limit. Below that it will be a second hand model, but if you want something more upmarket you can find secondhand ones above that.
I am reluctant to suggest any specific models as this is very personal as to style and colours. If you do give the limits on weight and price though we can give more advice.
If you have had your licence 40 years it should be B+E which means most combinations will be available to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts