Help Again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone give me some help please I am thoroughly fed up with % of weights and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I have a Bailey pagent Burgundy 2006 series 5 model (1400Kgs)which I currently tow with a diesel VW Sharan. It tows like a shed made of Jelly (dont no why I had a pageant loire before this with same tow car which was great to tow)

So I am going to change my towcar next year (Company car) and all I can have is an Avensis estate with a 1300Kgs tow limit

So I am looking at changing Wifes car for either a Volvo S60 or V70 or S80

Both the the V70 and S60 have towing limits of 1600Kgs but the S80 has limit of 1800Kgs

Having done my calculations I work it out at S60 and V70 with van fully loaded I am towing at 89%

But with S80 I would be towing at 78%

Which is the best towcar and am I doing the Maths right?

Any help or advice would be greatfully received as I was conned as far as I was concerned by my dealer who told me yes I could tow new van with an Avensis which yes I suppose I could but not put anything in the van.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

The correct way to calculate the % ratio is to take the car kerbweight and the caravan MTPLM - this gives a maximum ratio.

You can't load the caravan above the MTPLM weight and you may actually run a lot lighter, and when the passengers and their luggage is added to the car, then both of these will reduce the ratio too.

Different aerodynamics, internal load placement (fittings, bathroom, etc.) by the manufacturer and your nose-weight will seriously affect the way a caravan tows.

Before I bought my MB C270 CDI in 2003, I seriously considered the Volvo range - and discounted the S80 (it is the oldest of the S60, V70, S80 family) as it was too "soft" and the longest boot overhang.

Couldn't get on with the V70 at all - I really wanted to like this because of the self levelling suspension and AWD on some models - but the top of the windscreen slopes back more than the saloons and I was hitting my head on the door frame when entering and exiting.

Liked the S60 a lot - short rear overhang and stiffer suspension - but like the S80 front wheel drive.

In the end bought a rear wheel drive car with a bigger, more powerful, more efficient diesel engine.

Robert

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

Try logging onto www.whattowcar.com and then select the option,

" you want impartial advice of your outfit", select your car and van from the various drop down options, include the loads you intend to put in both car and van and hey presto it works it all out for you.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts