Help - Alko Stabiliser Hitch AKS3004

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Have just bought Bailey van with above hitch. My last had the Winterhoff.

Am having problems in engaging the Stabiliser hitch arm like its too stiff to operate.

Under normal conditions I can just about manage to engage/disengage as its very stiff to operate. But when we are taking our cycles which are mounted on a towball carrier its impossible without unloading/loading one bike in order to apply enough leverage eg standing on the arm!

Does anyone know of a tool or similar to extend the stabiliser arm and so increase the leverage required up or down?

I have read somewhere that some vehicles with rear external spare wheels have similar problems which they address through extension of the lever arm.

Short of replacing this with the tried and very trusted Winterhoff I am faced with the inconvenience of loading/unloading my bikes whilst hitched which is not an ideal scenario. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It shouldn't be so hard to engage .

I do have to apply short jerky pushes but standing on the arm never.

If you remove the red side buttons and knock out the pads you may be able to remove the shims/washers until the pads get bedded in,otherwise its may need servicing by the dealer.

The arm for 4 X 4s is the same length but removeable

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To help with applying the stabiliser with the bikes in place you can do what many 4 X 4 users do.

Simply remove the torx screw that hold the red lever on and on hitching take up the slack before replacing the handle and on unhitching remove the handle after releasing the pressure and raise the last bit without it.

The Alko 4 X 4 handle is used in the same way and they say to leave it off when towing

Sep 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem and even when standing on the arm it was almost impossible to engage. I ended up taking it to the dealer who agreed there was something badly amiss. It was repaired quite simply by replacing bearings in it, which suprised me as it was only a year old and had always seemed to be stiff. Now even my wife can engage it with little effort! All the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts