help and advice needed

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
During it's 3rd year service our 2007 Abbey Vogue has developed damp at the rear corners of the caravan. The dealer has carried out minor repairs (in their opinion the water ingress was coming in from the rear locker on the right side and the toilet locker on the left, and possibly from the draught skirt rails).

Both locker doors were removed along with the rail and resealed and completed without fuss at the dealer. However we are now concerned that the damp area although small will create long term issues. Approx 4" on either side 60% with damp meter. This is our first caravan and it has already spent most of its life at the dealers getting repaired.

My question's are as follows:

1) Could this damp area now 'go-away' since the repairs have been carried out? We were told that once water goes in it will just spread and apread and can never be repaired fully.

if not

2) Change the caravan but to what? Alutech or traditional construction?

I have read several posts in regards to the Pegasus and it does have shortcomings (We prefer the Olympus) if we were to buy now the chances are Bailey would correct some of the issues (front gas locker cover / mains lighting) and we would be left with a van that no one wants. If we go for traditional construction we probably be in the same situation in three years time.

3)Since the major manufacturers have dropped certain brands,(such as the abbey) does anyone know if the build quality has improved on the ranges that are left?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My advice is go for the alu-tec - the biggest curse of caravanners is water ingress. I think that Bailey are the only

company that has addressed this head on - and my understanding

is that should the Bailey leak at all its only a matter of

tightening bolts and there is nothing to rot apart from the floor - and I am sure you would notice it before it got that far. I am informed by Bailey that they have cured the floor delamination curse as well - by using new materials (because my sink leaked in my new Pageant) and I received a letter stating

this.

sarh here i had a damp patch on offside awning rail, resealed rail but a year later had to open up inside panel as damp reading 83,found water droplets in wall board had to dry out and replace wall board now have damp of 4.5to 7.5 for whole van, leave it and it will spread and the wallboard goes soft along with the timber frame,and yes it was spreading and you could not see it i had a big shock when i saw it all, repair inside and out or look out.

G

I see it as 2 issues.

Just because your van has damp does not mean to say the construction method is at fault. After all there are very many similar type vans on the roads that do not have damp, mine included. As you state yourself the leak came through lockers which is not really part of the main structure. Therefore changing to another type of construction may, or may not solve your fears. The AluTec is still pretty new and I dare say some faults will appear in due course.

The other issue is the damp in your van. If the repair has been completed correctly then this should dry up and not re-occur. If it has not then it needs to be re-done until it is correct. As it is a 2007 van then it is still under Warranty and you have every right to expect it to be fixed correctly. You mention the dealer has been helpful in doing the work so far. Maybe talk with them and state that your are still concerned and see what they say. Get any response in writing if possible.

I appreciate your concerns with your current van, but jumping to another may, or may not be the answer.

TRENDING THREADS