Help - Caravan Resealing problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Armed with advice from folk on this forum I have begun a DIY reseal of my caravan. I've come up against a couple of problems and I'm wondering if anyone can advise from their experience;

(1) On one section of rail the screw heads are so rusty that I can't shift them - I've triid WD40 and heat from a soldering iron tip all to no avail. The screwheads are Philips/Pozidrive type. I did drill the head off one screw but it was a very slow process and difficult to avoid damaging aluminium rail. Any suggestions?

(2) One section of rail has been previously sealed with silicone sealant which is proving very difficult to remove. The white spirit based mastic in other places comes off fine with white spirit and elbow grease but the silicone is proving hard to shift. Is there a solvent for the silicone sealant?

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim there is a solvent for removing silicone sealant - you will find it in B&Q. It is expensive and would suggest you look on the Screwfix website (www.screwfix.co.uk) where it should be cheaper and it will be delivered next day - interestingly Scewfix and B&Q are owned by the same parent company but their prices differ widely. Beware, you cannot use silicone over old silicone as it does not adhere

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

Did this on my 'van last year and whilst hard work it was very satisfying to know it was done well. When I took the window rails off I was amazed at how the amount of sealant varied from place to place. Clearly the manufacturer had not seen fit to make sure a uniform amount was applied.

As regards the screws these will rust out quickly if they are steel (usualy plated) and then put adjacent to alluminium. Ask a Land Rover (alluminium body on steel frame/chassis) owner about the electrolitic corrossion that takes place between steel and alluminium if not separated by an inert substance such as a rubber sheet! A steel screw, sitting on alluminium with a bit of condensation on it will set about rotting itself to blazes in a very short time.

This is what I did on the advice of the place that I bought it.

Remove the windows - mine just slid out once the retaining stops were removed. Grind off the head of the old screws if they will not come out easily and take of the rail.

You can then get at the stub of the stubbon screws with molegrips or similar but DO BE CAREFUL WITH THE 'VANS PAINT - it is very thin and easily scratched.

Once removed the hole can be filled with sealant (not silicone - see later), however I did have to admit defeat on a couple and simply ground them down flush with the surface and had to be satisfied with painting the bair metal with Kurust. I know where they are and will be checking then regularly.

Now using stainless steel screws of the same size as the original (available from Towsure and other places) I refitted the window rail using a "healthy" amount of sealant and redrilling pilot holes equidistant between the original holes. The old holes were checked to make sure they were nicely full of sealant and new stainless screws use here as well. Using the old screw holes as "markers" allows for an exact line-up when drilling the new holes. The job was finnished off with new plastic strip covering the screws.

I now know that as well as the original screws are out and replaced with stainless, the rail now has a fixing screw about evey 9inches rather than evey 18 inches and that it is well and trully sealed against the elements.

Because I took it slowly the first window took an afternoon. The next day I went back and did all the others by lunchtime.

I checked the awning rails on mine and they were ok but I did run a bead of sealant all arround them to make sure as well as removing the sealant strip to check the state of the screws which interestingly compared to the window ones were in excellent condition.

I plan to remove both rails this summer (I do not use my 'van in the school summmer holidays) and redo the sealant just to be sure.

As regards the sealant to use I was strongly advised not to use silicone as it is difficult to remove if required and as another contributor has mentioned on another thread - it is difficult to reseal again if you have to.

The stuff I used was given to me by the dealer I bought the van from (Blackmore Vale @ Shaftesbury 01747 851497- very helpful and I would recommend them) and is what is used in their workshops. It is like a mastic and never sets unlike silicone which does and then can split with the movement in a caravan.

The job is messy but VERY satisfying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts